Another Thelonious Monk Tune - Epistrophy

Dougf

Reaction score
There's an interesting connection to Charlie Christian and the ukulele with this tune. This was my entry in Ukeeku's contest.

Alright, good stuff, Doug!
My ear says that would make a great sound track for a mystery movie!
Lots of good tension.
Thanks, man.

This is really interesting and cool, Doug - without a doubt one of the most unique uke videos I've ever seen. Very ambitious - I'm amazed at how much of such a complex tune you're able to translate to the ukulele. Well done, man - keep it up.....

Alright, good stuff, Doug!
My ear says that would make a great sound track for a mystery movie!
Lots of good tension.
Thanks, man.

Thanks, you've given me an idea for a song I want to try next, the theme from "Perry Mason"!

Beautiful rendition Doug, I love the feel you achieve with the uke, very cool.

Thanks, it's a quirky tune, but it's got some fun stuff to play around with.

This is really interesting and cool, Doug - without a doubt one of the most unique uke videos I've ever seen. Very ambitious - I'm amazed at how much of such a complex tune you're able to translate to the ukulele. Well done, man - keep it up.....

Thanks. I once heard a guy on NPR talking about Monk's music, and he said there are two main characteristics: it's simple, and it's complex. :)

Here's a youtube link to a Charlie Christian improvised solo. There's a nice slideshow, but I'd recommend to just listen to it so you can focus on the sound.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ce9Jtl9D6FQ

yep, I'm a big Charlie Christian fan. I've been trying to learn jazz guitar for a year or two and his technique and creativity are pretty mind-blowing.

You might get a kick out of this free Charlie Christian ebook. There's a ton of information - musical and otherwise. All the tablature is for guitar, but you might find it useful - almost everything is presented in standard notation as well, if you read music.... it's a pretty amazing resource.....

yep, I'm a big Charlie Christian fan. I've been trying to learn jazz guitar for a year or two and his technique and creativity are pretty mind-blowing.

You might get a kick out of this free Charlie Christian ebook. There's a ton of information - musical and otherwise. All the tablature is for guitar, but you might find it useful - almost everything is presented in standard notation as well, if you read music.... it's a pretty amazing resource.....

Wow, thanks for that link, great stuff, I just took a quick look.

That chord shape improvising is pretty much what I did with the middle part of this tune, (although I worked out the patterns in advance) but at the time I didn't realize that was Christian's technique as well, it's just something that made sense to me. Pretty cool.

Top Bottom