cutting down on knocking noise

Tony Mizen

Reaction score
Hi everyone. I just wondered if anyone has got any good ideas about cutting down on that knocking noise you get when playing the uke - unless it's just me! My recordings sound a bit like there's a drummer in the background, but it's my fingers and thumb knocking against the top of the uke.

I'm looking forward to making another CD on one of Jim Beloff's wonderful Flukes!

It happens to me, but only on one particular uke I own. I think the fretboard may be a little higher than my other ukes, but really not sure what causes it. I just change how hard I strum and that seems to solve it.

Hi

May not be of much help, but you need to pinpoint where the noises come from. You can bring in a friend and ask him/her to watch carefully as you play.

Another thing is the noise (probably) is not directional, while your music notes from ukulele are directional. What I mean is as you move your microphone away from ukulele, you should be able to cut down the noise with respect to the notes. Your mic will pick up the house noise (and other environmental noise) more so there's a compromise.

Another thing is, once you recorded something, apply a strong low-cut EQ. If it's thumping (low-frequency), the EQ should be able to eliminate them. The C note (lowest frequency of a tenor/concert) is 260 Hz so you can cut off at 220 Hz (give bit of leeway). If it's low-G, The G note is 196 Hz so cut below 150 Hz. If it's baritone, cut off below 120 Hz. That should do some trick

Cheers
Chief

Once you learn how to avoid it, you'll be on your way to learning how to use it! I was at a recording session once, and the engineer said, "Are you knocking like that on purpose? It's sounds pretty cool!" So I said, "Uh... Yeah... Yeah, I meant to do that..."

On many songs, I strive to knock. It adds another dimension to playing certain styles.

I didn't notice until someone pointed it out to me. Then I started to get self-conscious and worry that I was doing it. The woman who'd pointed it out told me not to worry, that it just sounded like my style. I've got one video I like where it sounds like I'm accompanied by a tabla player.

Have you tried using higher-octane gas?

:shaka:

JJ

WOW Tony! just finished listening to an extract of your interpretation of Schiarazula Marazula on Flea Market Music...all I have to say is Wow! Wow! & Wow!. I certainly did not hear any "knocking noises here" only a beautiful piece very well played! :)

I've noticed that it is easier "to knock on wood" ;-) when the fretboard goes right up to the soundhole and is a bit thicker. One is less prone to knocking that fret board when it stops at the 12th fret like those Martin O style. I guess it's about adapting your playing style for that particular ukulele. Each instrument is unique. Cheers! Keep up your great work! :)

Mario
Hi everyone. I just wondered if anyone has got any good ideas about cutting down on that knocking noise you get when playing the uke - unless it's just me! My recordings sound a bit like there's a drummer in the background, but it's my fingers and thumb knocking against the top of the uke.

I'm looking forward to making another CD on one of Jim Beloff's wonderful Flukes!

Last edited:
My own experience is that there's less knocking noise if I don't use an amplifier, or wait to practice until the guy in the apartment next door isn't home.

Are you recording your ukulele acoustically or plugged in, Tony? If it's plugged in, you can eliminate problem frequencies with an:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/lr-baggs-para-acoustic-di

DV016_Jpg_Large_307160_V.jpg

The L.R. Baggs Para Acoustic D.I. also lets you adjust your instrument's tone to sound more natural through many types of amplification. Ric

Thanks for such great replies. I think the only track where the knocking is most noticeable is the last one - but I hope it's not as noticeable to others as it is to me. Holding a guitar still is easy, but I find ukes just want to get away and you have to wrestle with them to stay put. I think that's part of the reason why my thumb keeps hitting the wood....

Must visit this site more often!

I think the only track where the knocking is most noticeable is the last one - but I hope it's not as noticeable to others as it is to me. Holding a guitar still is easy, but I find ukes just want to get away and you have to wrestle with them to stay put. I think that's part of the reason why my thumb keeps hitting the wood....

If that's the case, using a strap or UkeLeash should help you. They'll help the uke to stay where your strumming hand expects it to be.

Top Bottom