Changed Strings on KoAloha Concert Neck SOPRANO

Uke Whisperer

Reaction score
When I purchased the Uke the seller thought they were Worth Clears/KoAloha. The uke sounded really good even though I thought a little "brighter" might be even better. A few weeks ago I started noticing that the E string seemed it was losing some of it's "UMPH".

Last week a switched-out the strings with Martin 600 Clear Fluorocarbon for "Sopranos/Concerts". (still stretching a little)

The sound is great, very much to my liking, possibly a little less "mellow". I will say they are definitely tighter than the previous ones but not a problem playing them. I wonder though if the tightness has to do with the extended neck or if they could be "too tight". I guess not since they are used for Concert scale ukes.(?)

This is my 3rd "solid" wood uke now with the Martins plus my Banjolele. I really like them.

Anyone else tried them with an extended neck Soprano or a Concert scale uke? How about with a solid KOA uke (my other 2 were solid mahogany)?

I just put them on my solid mahogany Mele Concert and it sounds and plays great. Better than the Aq's I had on IMO.
They are very comfortable for my fingers and projects well.............................BO...................

I use Worth Clears on my Koaloha Concert, which should be the same scale as your Longneck Soprano. After all my trials, I keep coming back to the clear fluorocarbons. I've used the Martins, too, and can't tell the difference. I think they're a great choice for your instrument.

I've got the Martins on my Koaloha concert too, with similar results. They just sound good no matter what fluoro-friendly uke I try. Are these fishing line strings all basically the same, no matter what brand? If so Worth may be outpricing themselves a bit.

I've got the Martins on my Koaloha concert too, with similar results. They just sound good no matter what fluoro-friendly uke I try. Are these fishing line strings all basically the same, no matter what brand? If so Worth may be outpricing themselves a bit.

I might be wrong, but it is my understanding that while all the flouro strings are the same compound, but differ in the gauges and tolerance quality.
String diameters need to be consistent or tonal and buzz issues may happen.

Remember Worths come long enough for two sets when comparing price.

I might be wrong, but it is my understanding that while all the flouro strings are the same compound, but differ in the gauges and tolerance quality.
String diameters need to be consistent or tonal and buzz issues may happen.

Remember Worths come long enough for two sets when comparing price.

Yeah, I know. I just seem to remember an online store carrying Worths for 25 bucks. I wasn't Worth shopping at the time, so no I don't have any links and maybe that was just a crap store, but it struck me as pricey with two sets.

For me it is Worth all the way on Koaloha

I now buy all my strings from Mya-Moe. They sell clear fluorocarbons I think are Worths. Not expensive and they don't gouge you on shipping. Plus, I like supporting one of the best builders in the world, even if it's just a few sets of strings.

I recently put Fremont Blacklines on my KoAloha and have a whole new blossoming love affair with that uke.

Top Bottom