Pulled trigger on Pono Pro-classic RTSH-E

coolkayaker1

Reaction score
productimage-picture-pono-rtsh-e-14782-50232.jpgproductimage-picture-pono-rtsh-e-14782-50233.jpgproductimage-picture-pono-rtsh-e-14782-50234 (1).jpg

I ordered this Pono Pro-classic Rosewood body and Cedar Top Tenor yesterday from a music store and it's packed and ships tomorrow! It's excellent condition used (or so they say), so I got a discount. It has the Pono passive pickup installed.

I wanted this uke because (a) I don't yet own a tenor, (b) I wanted a slotted headstock, and (c) I'll likely use it as my first low-G uke. So, loads of firsts.

I heard that Pono is making ukes lighter, thinner woods in 2012, and this is a 2010 model. But, this sounded good in the video sound sample provided.

If anyone has advice about this uke, from owing it or playing it, on any necessary tweaks or string choices, please do chime in. Thanks.

Last edited:
I would like a pono tenor to be my next uke... Love the Pono Pro-classic RTSH especially... I think the Pono would be a super contrast with my concert KoAloha. Enjoy your Pono!

That's quite a beautiful ukulele. Enjoy the new experience.

That looks like the one they had at Bernunzio. I was lucky enough to find the 2011 model at one of my local shops, which somehow came with the MiSi pickup rather than the Ko'olau passive. I am very happy with mine, as I'm sure you will be with yours.

Thanks for the replies. I appreciate it. Caukulele, I have a KoAloha soprano, and I agree with you and your KoAloha Concert--this seems like the appropriate uke for us to have a change from what we have now.

SPG, one day we will play together, and you can tyr it out and help me keep my wonky RISA stick in tune. LOL

Whit--that's amazing that you'd know where I got it. Now you're going to tell me you know b/c your cousin traded it in there due to incessant fret buzzing, and his kitchen table transducer installation gave feedback like a screaming gull, right? LOL

MiSi of course would be better. I wonder if the 2012's are thinner wood build and more vibrant (?) than the 2010 and 2011?

I just got the Fed Ex tracker, it shipped out today! (even though it still says, On Hold, on the website). The video above is the actual uke that I got. The girl is not included. I checked.

Last edited:
Whit--that's amazing that you'd know where I got it. Now you're going to tell me you know b/c your cousin traded it in there due to incessant fret buzzing, and his kitchen table transducer installation gave feedback like a screaming gull, right? LOL

Wow! That's amazing that you would know about my cousin....LOL - I kid, I kid! My ukulele skills might be largely undeveloped, but my Google skills are strong. I've barely put my Pono down since bringing it home.

thats alovely piece of kit there ck, very eye catching my friend

Nice! I think you'll dig the Pono, I'm loving my new one. The build is heavier than KoAloha, but don't let that fool you...it has a sound all of its own. Maybe quieter than KoAloha, but I feel like my Koa Pono is a bit more complex and balanced than my KoAloha was, and it isn't as compressed when pushed hard. Great ukuleles, I'll definitely be looking into getting one of the slothead spruce tenors soon too!

Pono makes one of the best looking Slot Heads I've ever seen in any price range!...

I have the Pono MHTSH and I really like the Fremont Blackline strings. The thicker heavier neck with the Truss Rod will take a little time to get used too but, you won't even notice it after awhile.

Congrats! Great looking uke!

Congrats coolkayaker1!

I had started a Thread awhile back informing everyone that I was looking for a Pono RTSH or RTSH-E Tenor uke.

There was a used one back in November at a music store somewhere in New York I believe. A fellow UU member brought it to my attention. It was a Pono RTSH and I ended up passing up on it.

Another UU member, Kenji, notified me of the pre-owned Pono RTSH-E @ Bernunzio Music in New York and I immediately put it on hold. I had Michelle (The girl in the video) send me pictures, which they also posted on their website, and then I requested a video sample which ended up taking about 5 days before she had time to record one.
The owner of Bernunzio Music(I believe his name is Joe ... or it could be John) was nice enough to hold the uke for me for another day after the video was posted to make a decision whether or not to pull the trigger on it.

.........In the end, I decided not to pull the trigger. I know that I'll probably regret not doing so. I decided to hold out for the new lighter build models to come out.

Anyways, Bruddah coolkayaker1, you will NOT be disappointed with your new to you Pono RTSH-E Tenor uke! It's a SWEET uke and you will be very happy with it! CONGRATS!

Many great replies, everyone. I really appreciate it, and for hearing that those that have them truly like them.

Bynapkinart, your koa is likely the cat's meow. I don't know that the rosewood/cedar will hold a candle, but we'll see. Thanks for your take on the heaviness compared to the KoAloha, but I get your point about the loud and bright KoAloha being, for all it's power and glory, in some senses a "one trick pony" (I know I'm going to get the switch across the butt for writing that). I'm looking forward to some diversity, if for no other reason than a tenor size.

GKK, I just happen to have a fresh set of Fremont Blacklines right here next to me as we speak....hee hee hee (sinister snarl). Thanks for the tip.

Slack, just before I bought this one, I dutifully searched UU Forums just to make sure Ponos were okay instruments, and when I saw that Eddie Vedder plays one, I jumped in feet first. LOL You know, Eddie being the nuanced player that he is....lol. But, I did see your older thread (and one recently, I thought) and whipped out my Discover card faster than Wyatt Earp to snap it up before you saw it. LMAO No, I'm kidding. I figured you'd seen it, given your recent posts.

And, honestly, you might well have done the proper thing to wait for the 2012 lighter models, although when I look at their website, I see nothing specifically about the lighter builds.

Sounds like I bought an anchor.

The only negative I see about Ponos, and they actually address it on the FAQ section of their website, is some online comments about cracking soundboards. I will humidify in my plastic Steri-lite humidor. But, I just wonder if the lighter build will be even more finicky in that sense.

I just couldn't afford to pay the higher price of a new one (and I think they're higher in 2012 than prior years, so going up; probably the Eddie Vedder factor). I thank you, slack, b/c if it weren't for you passing on it, and ordering the youtube video, I'd likely never have even seen it. Thanks for that. And, this you can take to the bank: if I don't like it for any reason, I'll mark it up 15% from what I paid for it and give you first dibs on buying it. Promise. lol.

I'm just ribbing you, friend.

Now, everyone, let's help slackkey007 find his 2012 light build Pono! Thanks all.

Last edited:
Congratulations on your new (to you) ukulele! It looks and sounds wonderful. I have a Pono solid mahogany baritone, and I'm very happy with it. Great voice, resonant, fun to play. I'm sure you're going to love your Pono.

The video above is the actual uke that I got. The girl is not included. I checked.

Does that mean she's still available? :)

I have a Pono MPTSH and love it. I was originally going to buy the RTSH, but HMS was out of them and Andrew convinced me to try out the Spruce top and Maple uke. It's drop dead gorgeous too with the black stripes. I was very impressed by the sound and it actually gets more play than my Ko'olau. Mainly because it's my travel/beater uke so it comes everywhere with me and sits on my desk most of the time, but it really does sound great. It's not a Ko'olau, but for a uke that's 1/3, the price it sure doesn't sound that way.

I'm sure you'll love the RTSH. My Ko'olau has a Cedar top and I love the sound. Both the Ko'olau and Pono's have a really nice defined and well balanced sound to them with a lot of clarity. Ko'olau did a really great job with their Pono line.

Last edited:
Congrats on the Pono. Like Mr Moonlight, was looking for the RTSH and ended up getting a MPTSH that plays like a dream. I had a mahog that was fantastic too. I would definitely recommend the Fremonts Blacklines, Worth Browns, and Mele Mana’o'io (Brand from Aaron C. at HMS). I really like the Mele Mana’o'io on a MPTSH. As noted the builds of the Ponos tend to be heavier but that isn't a bad thing. The aesthetics, neck profile and sound is top notch. The tenor Ponos I've had seem to have almost have an extra gear when you need it. It's probably related to the heavier build, but when you really need/want to lean into it, the uke still sings. Haven't experienced that on some of my other ukes. Haven't seen or heard these "lighter" build Ponos they keep talking about, but will enthusiastically vouch for the build era/version you scored.

Enjoy.

God, these are excellent comments and input from experienced ukers and owners of Ko'olau and Ponos. Thanks so much for your input about build and play-ability and heft and string choices and all.

It arrives by Fed Ex tomorrow, per the tracking.

And mds74, perhaps they surprised me and put her in the box, too. I'll look for air holes. If none, she's still at the shop and all yours....lol. She's a good player, that's for sure (guitar even more than uke, per the youtube videos).

Top Bottom