to tune in low g, or high G? that is the question

Low g offers you a deeper, more guitar-like sound with a bigger range. High g gives you that traditional uke-y sound, but with less range. It all depends on what you're looking for.

Low g offers you a deeper, more guitar-like sound with a bigger range. High g gives you that traditional uke-y sound, but with less range. It all depends on what you're looking for.

Ditto. I opt for low g 90% of the time as I do mainly fingerpicking. There are still some songs I prefer in high g though ("Five Foot Two") etc.

To me, high g just sounds right. But I do have one in low g because it just sometimes comes in handy. :)

I string my Johnny Marvin high G because I like to play vintage songs on it...it is very very old, and sounds very very old, so I string it with high G to get that classic ukulele sound. My tenors sound big, and high G sounds a little strange on a tenor to me, so they've got low G. I write better songs low G, and the tenors are more complimentary to my songwriting.

I like both for different reasons. If I want to sound like I'm playing a classic ukulele, I reach for the Johnny Marvin. If I want to play my own stuff or jam along with other musicians (or perform on stage) I typically reach for the tenor low G.

The only problem I have with low G is to find the right string as it can typically be overpowering. I've tried 4 difft sets of Worth Tenor Low G (Two Browns and Two Clears) and hated all of them. Of course it could be difft with your uke.

I like high g for strumming and low g for fingerpicking.

The only problem I have with low G is to find the right string as it can typically be overpowering. I've tried 4 difft sets of Worth Tenor Low G (Two Browns and Two Clears) and hated all of them. Of course it could be difft with your uke.

Which Worth clear did you try? I found the Worth CHLGHD are not boomy. You also might want to try Fremont Blacklines - those are pretty balanced also.

Ditto on low G for finger picking and high for strumming (seems like most of the folks I strum with have high G so it "fits in" better.

If the lowest note in the song is middle C, one does not need the lower notes to play the melody. The first song coming to the mainland in 1939 was Willi Willi Wai. It is a musical rendition of a rainbird sprinkler. It needs a low G. I don't know if 73 years ago counts as old, or if one has to go back to the turn of the century to the late 20's.

It is interesting to go to the Southcoast website to listen to the cuatro tuning. It works even on a soprano. That instrument has about a hundred years or more head start on the ukulele. Put a low G on the first string and bring it up to the low A..

Tunings are like a wive. If everyone felt the same way about my wive as I feel about her, everyone would want to be married to her. I have a friend who has a wive, that if everyone felt about her like I do, no one would want to be married to her. Not everyone likes buttermilk. Some ukes sound better one way than the other.

I like using the reentrant tuning fingerpicking as well as strumming. There are some real lnteresting chord voicings and arpeggios that are possible with the two strings one step apart. I think I also like that it's a bit less guitar like.

I thought the primary reasoning behind low G tuning is to give me a reason to buy a second Uke :)

I just restrung my Kanile'a to Low G and really like it. I think it is much better for playing tunes that are not specifically written or rearranged for the Uke. I have been playing "Let It Be" a lot recently and it simply did not sound right in high G. Looks like I need a second Uke in for high G :)

For strumming, I think that low G works well, as long as you are not looking for that ghastly George Formby sound. Also, if you like playing "Ain't She Sweet" and the like, high G works better. I personally always use high G for strumming, never low G.

For any kind of picked technique though, high is by far the best. It enables you to share out the melody part between the top two strings (A and G). Campanella voicing can sound great in a whole variety of styles.

I would say that low G works well with jazz chords and melodies though. Having said that, some of the top players, like Gerald Ross, use high G primarily.

In fact most of the top players on the circuit use primarily re-entrant for pretty much everything: James, Jake, Rev, Aldrine, etc. all use high G in the main. James Hill, of course, used high A tuning (a D F# B).

In the end, choose the tuning that pleases you.

Last edited:
I prefer Re-Entrant (High G) on all my sopranos
and my concert,whilst my Tenor is strung Low G.
As all the good folk before me have said,it just
broadens your options!
I am mainly a 'strummer' and both work okay for me.
The odd bit of picking I do,tends to be mostly on the
Tenor,and so is more 'guitar like',but as a former guitarist
you have to allow me that!

I'm in the both camp, too. Both offer different things as stated. When I had one uke, I'd go reentrant as the all-round, then change the G from time to time for variety or a recording, etc. But now I have both. There's nothing like a low G for blues and rock. It can be done for sure with standard, but that extra range means a lot, especially for blues.

Low g for picking chords on ballads and love songs.. much like a piano.
High G for up tempo songs as well as ragtime stuff.
I also choose a uke for a particular song from the several that I have to match the sound I'm looking for.
My statement from the above line justifies my purchasing frenzy,hehe............................BO........................

Top Bottom