Firefly Banjo-Uke Strings

Paul December

Reaction score
Do banjo-ukes take special strings? The set that came on mine appear to be Aquila high G, but the C string is wound. I've never seen a wound C, is it something special?
Has anyone tried any other strings on theirs? I have an extra set of Worth clears... worth a try?

Aquila makes a set especially for banjoleles. I have seen uke string sets with a wound C string, just gave away a set of Ko'olau Golds with a wound C string.

Aquila makes a set especially for banjoleles. I have seen uke string sets with a wound C string, just gave away a set of Ko'olau Golds with a wound C string.

Any idea how they differ from regular uke strings? more/less tension?
I'd like to know if I'm safe using the regular set I already have.

You're probably safe as far as tension goes. I had a Gold Tone banjolele that had an older set of strings with a wound C when I got it and switched to regular soprano/concert strings and didn't like the tone so bought a set of the Aquilla Banjolele strings and liked them very much.

You can get Aquila banjo Uke strings in either wound-c or unwound-c.

The strings on my Firefly are wound-g, on my Stella are unwound. Both are fine - but I'll probably go with unwound when I replace them.

I believe I got the unwound set from ukuleleworld.com

-Kurt​

Last edited:
Hi Paul. I have worths on mine and I like the way it sounds. Mellow banjo (oxymoron?). This may end up on the market soon, btw.

I've found the wound C to be a little brash. Regular Aquila nylgut strings should do you just fine.

Used to use the wound C banjo ukulele strings, but I then found unwound at Ukulelehunt...they appear to be the exact same as standard concert Uke strings. Anyway, I have the unwound on all five of mine now

Top Bottom