Great photo of Cliff Edwards

Gadzukes!

Reaction score
I was in a shop yesterday that had vintage costumes and some random gewgaws, and noticed they had a stack of around 25 old movie promo pictures. I thought to myself, "Self, I wonder if there's a picture of Ukulele Ike in there somewhere—it's around that same time period, and he was pretty popular in the day."

Sure enough, about third from the bottom what do I find but an awesome picture of Cliff Edwards! I went ahead and spent $5 on it, and figured I'd share it with the rest of UU.

I have scanned it in at VERY high-res and done a little cleanup, so if you want it feel free to grab it:
High-res scan of Ukulele Ike (Cliff Edwards)

I actually did a bit of searching with Google Images and it doesn't appear that this image is anywhere else on the internet, so it's likely a bit rare!

Last edited:
Saved. Very nice of you! Thanks much.

thanks Gadzukes! it's a classic picture...that's the widest grin I think I've ever seen!!!! he he...

Thanks for posting it. I made a cool compilation album and this is perfect for the cover!

Great-thanks for sharing. I bought a "greatest hits" off ITunes a year ago. The songs range from very happy to very sad but lots of emotion in all. What a voice and a tragic life story too.

Poor Cliff, at the end he died a pauper. Very sad. Wish he were still around. Would have given anything to meet him one on one.

Thanks so much for posting this!

I used to play his recordings on my daily radio show in Atlanta. I'm glad that the ukulele revival is bringing out a new interest in Cliff Edwards...What a great musician/performer he was.

You can get at least one of his 1940s radio shows online--I'll try to find the link and post it; I just loaded it in my MP3 player the other day.

His version of "Paper Moon" is still the absolute best!

Top Bottom