Hulala vs Kala CEM???

keywestkeely

Reaction score
Okay, I confess, I'm a lifelong musician but a newbie on the uke...

I'm really liking the sound of the new Hulala Ocean Dancer concert models--has anyone here tried them? I like what Uke Republic has to say about them, but would love to hear from some folks here before I decide.

Yeah, I know about those hula girl graphics, but I think they're kinda fun! I'm more concerned about sound, though...

I've got a chance to get a Kala CEM for under $100, which is my price point right now (I bought an Irish tenor banjo for Christmas and I'm still recovering!) I'm new to the uke, but I want a quality sound with some real volume and punch.

On videos I've seen, the Kala CEM sounds kinda muted to me, while the Hulala does sound louder. Suggestions about either or both, anyone??? (I just can't afford a solid wood right now, so I'll have to make do with a laminate before I save up for a Mainland...)

Thanks a bunch! And does anyone else here love Wendall Hall as much as I do? (yes, I know, new thread...)

I've tried a few Hulala ukes lately.
They are laminate, but they are some of the best quality laminates I've ever seen.

Looking at the rim edge of the soundhole to see the layers, it is "nearly" a solid.
The wood is just 2 layers, one layer being really really thin (the outer veneer).

As for sound, the Hulala's often sound better than Kala's laminate ukes.

Kala has better quality tuners though.

That's what surprised me--in the videos I've seen online, the Hulalas seem to sound better than the Kala laminates; they have a fuller, more open sound with more volume.

I live in Key West, and there's only one music store here that sells ukes; they're (mostly) all Mahalos, which I wouldn't touch, so I'm having to go online to make my decision! I'd prefer not to make the three-and-a-half hour trek to the mainland to find a uke--and I've actually had good luck getting all my other instruments (banjo, Celtic harp, mandolin) online...

That's why I rely on the advice of good folks like you! Thanks for your reply, and if anyone else would like to weigh in, please do...I'm kinda leaning toward the Hulala right now just because of that nice big sound...

I like the fact that they have a bone nut and saddle too. Are the tuners pretty secure or do they slip? I know they don't look as stable as the Kala ones...

I guess you've seen this, if not check it out:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=woDCOvTpZWc

Currently thinking of switching from Lanikai tenor ukulele to this Hulala concert ukulele as tenor is too big for my hands. Well I guess Hulala is the same level as Lanikai and Makala. Kala will be slightly a bit above all those. Well that's my interpretation based on the price.

Hulala brand is still quite new, I hope more people will get into it and hopefully gets some recognition from famous people :D

Nice sounding.....no wonder! They are aNueNue's version of the Islander. Wonder if they'll get more of a selection? My browser won't let me "browse" their website.

I think they have only Ocean series for now..
HO I Soprano
HO I Pineapple
HO II Concert
HO III Tenor

Top Bottom