Books and video lessons by kimo hussey?

smokemeister25

Reaction score
anybody know if he has any instructional book or videos to buy? i know there are a few things on the internet but i'm looking for something like a melbay lessons book or dvd type equivalent. i'm trying to find stuff on the thumb and first finger right hand technique he uses and wondered if anybody knew if he had anything. i can't find it.

his website gives his contact email and actually mailing address and phone number and actually encourages people to call with any kind of question so he seems friendly and approachable and i did try to get hold of him but never heard back... i thought maybe somebody on UU would see that that lives in Hawaii and know if you have things available there that aren't available to us mainlanders....

thanks

Kimo Hussey is one of my favorites. I'd be interested in whatever was out there as well, as I've had a hard time finding anything myself. (I asked for some help on one of his songs in the "Song Help" section, but nothing yet.)

As for the right hand technique, here's a video that was helpful for me. It's not super advanced, but in case you haven't already seen it:

i saw this video and have been practicing it like mad :) ''finger down, thumb down, finger up... '' i'm gettin better at it. then i watch kimo and his right hand is so dog gone fast and good at it i always end up asking myself ''is this what he ''really'' does...." he's certainly a wonderful player with great musicality and style along with technical proficiency.

his websites say and encourage people to contact him even if it's just to communicate about uke stuff and i tried but never got a reply as of yet. i'm wondering if the address i used is an old one because i found another one for him along with a mailing address and phone number. i have no idea if their in fact his or an office though that just handles his seminars. still hoping to hear from him. i think his making a lesson book would be a great idea and i'd be in the front of the line to buy one.

Hey! I'm looking for Kimo's website and blundered into your post. I got to attend a concert in Portland, OR last month. Kimo said his right hand technique is very basic. He uses his thumb for down beats, and the index finger for double strum (down-up=1 beat) or upbeat as is used in reggae and Hawaiian. Downbeat the nail of the index finger, and the pad of the finger on the upbeat. A very simple, relaxed, chord-melody type of playing.

Top Bottom