New Concert & Tenor Ohana 38 Series

Uke Republic

Reaction score
Another great addition to Ohana's 38 series! Many are familiar with Ohana's SK-38, an impressive interpretation of a classic Martin Style 2. Ohana even added a distressed finish to complete the look of a vintage instrument. Now Ohana offers the concert and tenor version in the 38 series. The concert features Gotoh Friction Tuners and the tenor has Geared Tuners. These new 38's are stained dark on the Mahogany that seems to go well with it's full warm tone. I'm very happy that Ohana has decided to add to this series. I should have demos up soon.
Ohana38Series.jpgOhanaCK_TK38.jpgOhanaCK-38.jpgOhanaTK-38.jpg

I hope the tenor really sucks. Please tell me how awful it is, so that I don't have to pine away for one. If it's anywhere near as good as the soprano, oh boy.

Well it's terrible if you hate the sound given from an ebony nut and saddle combined with dark, warm mahogany :) It's most fantastic! U-A-S !!! U- A-S !!! U-A-S!!!
I hope the tenor really sucks. Please tell me how awful it is, so that I don't have to pine away for one. If it's anywhere near as good as the soprano, oh boy.

Oh no.........I want.

Well it's terrible if you hate the sound given from an ebony nut and saddle combined with dark, warm mahogany :) It's most fantastic! U-A-S !!! U- A-S !!! U-A-S!!!

Oh it's horrible. The sound of solid mahogany with the ebony nut and saddle, and comfortable neck and fretboard, and the vintagetastic finish. These things combine to make a horrible ukukele.... Where horrible doesn't mean what I think it means. :)

What's the price point on the concert and tenor? I got the soprano when it was only just starting to catch on how great it was. I think the secret will be out for the concert and tenor.

Oh it's horrible. The sound of solid mahogany with the ebony nut and saddle, and comfortable neck and fretboard, and the vintagetastic finish. These things combine to make a horrible ukukele.... Where horrible doesn't mean what I think it means. :)

What's the price point on the concert and tenor? I got the soprano when it was only just starting to catch on how great it was. I think the secret will be out for the concert and tenor.

For some reason I've been craving Solid Mahogany and a banjolele... Oh and I love that American Dad pic of Roger. I was cracking up because I could relate to what he said in that episode. I hope you actually saw that though xD. But yeah... UAS for mahogany all day

For some reason I've been craving Solid Mahogany and a banjolele... Oh and I love that American Dad pic of Roger. I was cracking up because I could relate to what he said in that episode. I hope you actually saw that though xD. But yeah... UAS for mahogany all day

Francine, I haven't been entirely truthful with you. Yeah, I screenshotted it directly from the episode. And I know completely how Roger feels... About the ukulele, not the red wig.

How exciting~ Would love to have the Concert! Quick, show us a review on You Tube!;)

Last edited:
Beautiful!!, but one question. Wonder why they changed the design of the SK-38 style on the Concert and Tenor, bringing the fret board to the sound hole? Do some people actually play that far without a cut-out? Personally, I like the "look" of the original SK-38.

Last edited:
Beautiful!!, but one question. Wonder why they changed the design of the SK-38 style on the Concert and Tenor, bringing the fret board to the sound hole? Do some people actually play that far without a cut-out? Personally, I like the "look" of the original SK-38.

On a tenor uke it is important to be able to get the higher notes. It is actually not that hard to play a tenor uke very high up the fretboard. Much easier than on a soprano because the frets are further apart and you have more control of finger pressure on a tenor.

Also, this series of ukes are not meant to be exact copies of the old Martin Style 2 instruments, just modern interpretations of them. we need to make them useable. If we had put a short fretboard on the tenor, far more people would have complained.

Last edited:
On a tenor uke it is important to be able to get the higher notes. It is actually not that hard to play a tenor uke very high up the fretboard. Much easier than on a soprano because the frets are further apart and you have more control of finger pressure on a tenor.

Also, this series of ukes are not meant to be exact copies of the old Martin Style 3 instruments, just modern interpretations of them. we need to make them useable. If we had put a short fretboard on the tenor, far more people would have complained.

Actually, Martin Style 3s have extended fingerboards. The Ohanas are, otherwise, reminiscent of the Style 2 Martins. Martin is making Style 2s again, in Nazareth, PA, but they are far more expensive than the Ohanas. They are also making concert and tenor sizes of the newer S-1 ukuleles in Mexico. The S-1s have extended fingerboards.

All of that said, Ohanas are not Martins, nor vice versa. I've played several S-1s that didn't impress me, but perhaps that had something to do with my propensity to compare new Martins to old ones. On the other hand, I've played some SK-35s, one of which blew me away. I had convinced the local music store to order Ohanas, more for their sake than mine (I didn't need another mahogany soprano. When I played that one special SK-35, I wanted it. But I also wanted to prove to the shop manager that I was right in persuading them to carry Ohanas. Nevertheless, it haunted me for a few days. I even posted about it on this forum. When I couldn't stand it any longer, I went back to buy it. Alas, it was gone...as were all but a few of the Ohanas that were in the store just a few days earlier.

I ordered the Concert~ My first Concert and my first Mahagony! Mike is mailing it out today:)

Some of the tenors are darker than others. It just depends on the wood absorbing the stain. If anyone wants a very dark one we do our best to fill the request. Yes that rhymed:)
Yeah, the tenors seemed a lighter finish in the NAMM vids too. Why is that?

Hey Mike,

Do you have any sound samples? Those really do look nice.

Top Bottom