New Kala solid wood uke

UK Paulie

Reaction score
I just took delivery of my first solid wood ukulele, a Kala Ka aslat. Its a solid spruce/lacewood and I'm just hooked now!! My first Uke was a lanikai soprano and that got me onto the hook but the Kala has reeled me in!! I am officially in love with the Ukulele!! I havent put it down since it came, only to eat and sleep lol I can understand why everyone talks of UAS (ukulele acquisition syndrome) I'm already making initial inquiries into a custom build which I've decided will be my last purchase since I now have a soprano, concert and a tenor. We shall see....:eek:

Lanikai LU11 - Lucy

Oscar Schmidt OU2E - Pepe

Kala Ka-ASLAT - Lacey

I got my Kala KA ASLAT just a week ago today. :cheers: I love it. I even get up EARLY to play a bit before I have to go to work! I had mine strung with a Low G.

Cool, which strings have you got on it? I have Aquilas at the moment which I like on my other ukes but I'm not sure I like them on this...Might try worths or Ko'olau Mahana's which are nice. Fantastic uke though and I got it for a great price. Happy strummin!!

I have the Kala Lacewood/spruce Baritone and really like it also. Almost as sweet sounding as my Spalted Maple/sprucewood, my favorite. I keep linear southcoast strings on the Lacewood and southcoast extra lights / reentrant on my spalted Maple. Really very great strings!! I would like to play a custom built or a Kamaka or Mya_Moe or that "class" ukulele just see how much difference there can be between the lower priced Ukes, (Kala, Ohana, Mainland, etc) I have found in my Baris the type of wood and string choicer for those woods makes a lot of difference in the sound and clarity I hear and feel. Obviously Jake prefers Kamaka, but other professionals play several other brands, Ken plays mostly Ohanas and gets fantastic sound from them, so is it prestige of ownership or is there truly that much difference for the money difference? Just wondering Lozark

Congrats! Played that baby....best sounding Kala I ever heard. Sounds like a much higher-end uke.

Congratulations! I wonder what a lacewood uke looks/sounds like? I love my Kala, too, I don't want to put it down. I just ordered my first custom concert ukulele from Willie Wixom. Great prices for American made solid koa wood ukuleles. You might want to check him out...

I might do a review/soundsample video if I can pluck up the courage..mind you I'm entering the competition this week so I guess it might be a good way to enter the world of making videos..lol

Cool, which strings have you got on it? I have Aquilas at the moment which I like on my other ukes but I'm not sure I like them on this...Might try worths or Ko'olau Mahana's which are nice. Fantastic uke though and I got it for a great price. Happy strummin!!

I also have the Aquilas (I'm not sure if the Low G is Aquila as well) and I'm considering something else too. The wound string feels funny, though of course it could just be that I'm not used to it.

The southcoast strings seem to have a good reputation but I went to their site and it was all scary. LOL!!! As a total string newbie I'm not quite sure what I'm looking at there.

I have an Aquila Low G set on my oscar schmidt which is a mahogany laminate and they sound great, the Aquilas on the Kala are normal tuning (high G) and while they do sound nice, I just think they are maybe a little too bright, combined with the solid spruce top and so i'm thinking of trying worths for that reason. Great uke though. Glad you are enjoying yours!! :)

I know what you mean, I can just detect its aroma as I'm playing and its lovely. In fact its getting lovelier and lovelier by the minute lol

Top Bottom