Johnny Marvin Airplane Bridge Tenor on Ebay...

ukulelecowboy

Reaction score
This is not my listing but I am posting for info sake.

Here is an overpriced(!!) Harmony Johnny Marvin Airplane Bridge Tenor Ukulele. The seller believes this to be solid koa which would make it a "Prince of Wales." It is not. It is made of a very nice flamed mahogany. Prince of Wales were much lighter in color and did not have a sunburst finish. It is in lovely condition and as the seller is accepting offers, something in the range of $325 would be appropriate...

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=300667781003#ht_500wt_1413

I saw this as well. It would be priced high for a Prince of Wales, I believe. I've wanted one for some time, but...

Yeah, overpriced as much as I love mine. He has the same one I have, albiet a bit later and in better condition. If you get one for $300 you're basically stealing one of the best vintage ukulele tones out there. I'd even consider $500 for a perfect one. Prince of Wales models in great conditions tend to top out at around $800.

I got mine for $450 in almost perfect condition. I think this one is really overpriced but is an excellent uke!

Someone pulled the trigger on it. I wonder how much they got it for.

I want to pick that up, but the as-is with little description bothers me. Bridge re-glue? It's a string through, it probably doesn't need it. At the same time, the fact that they don't take too much time to describe the issues bothers me.

I want the Prince of Wales, though. I think that these are the best values in vintage ukes, and I still haven't found a Martin that sounds quite as nice as the fuller sound you get with these. Fantastic and underrated instruments.

I want to pick that up, but the as-is with little description bothers me. Bridge re-glue? It's a string through, it probably doesn't need it. At the same time, the fact that they don't take too much time to describe the issues bothers me.

I want the Prince of Wales, though. I think that these are the best values in vintage ukes, and I still haven't found a Martin that sounds quite as nice as the fuller sound you get with these. Fantastic and underrated instruments.

The customer service at Elderly is great. I'm certain if you called, they'd tell you everything you wanted to know about it (I'm guessing they expect it). Good luck!

Last time I saw a prince of wales it was $1000 on FMM. It was in really nice condition with gold hardware friction pegs.

$300 ?? I 'd rather take it out back and smash it that let it go for that : )

Just kidding . I know that it was over priced , but I was more or less hoping for a respectable offer . I am not really a uke player , but have owned many vintage ukes . Most of them Martins , but also different makes and models . None of them sounded like this ( even with an old worn out set of gut strings ) , or were as pretty . This has to be the coolest looking uke ever . What do I know . I am just a guitar player with a bad uke habit : )

If you are going to start with a price and shipping that is way high, you have got to expect offers too low. then you counter offer with something more reasonable. that way if you are not sure of the value, the market will tell you. Or you can put it up for auction, on a good day you might end up with more than you expected, a bad day less. I'll pay you 300 to let me smash it up for you.Just PM me your paypal.

The refin would bother me more than anything else

I definitely agree with you on the sound of these . I understand the up charge for the Koa , but do you really think that the Koa variants sound better than the Hog models ?

I am a big Koa fan , but the Mahogany used in these models by far the best that I have ever seen ( in guitars or ukes ) . Great Koa is readily available , but try and find some Hog like this stuff . Good Luck !

Dont misunderstand , and think that I am trying to talk this uke up . I am more than happy keeping it. I just dont see the great difference in the two models other than maybe rarity . Which I know is a big factor also.
I guess I am biased , but I think this figured Hog sounds just as good (if not better ) , and looks absolutely stunning .

Again , I am not as versed in ukuleles as you guys are . I am just trying to learn something here

Last edited:
littlewingsn, i have to agree with you here.
Harmony used a stunning curly cuban mahogany to create the johnny marvin.
Is a beatiful mahogany! Is the same style of mahogany that martin used to create the Daisy 5M model.

I had an old Regal custom that had similar mahogany. really stunning wood and a beautiful tone, different than koa but every bit as nice. so littlewingsn, why don't you read the posting rules , decide on a realistic price, and post it for sale here. you can sell for a little cheaper here, no ebay fees.

SS,

I would definitely consider doing that . I am increasingly becoming disdainful of ebay and their ever gouging fees. That is the main reason it was listed high . I never intended for it to be sold at that price . I just more or less wanted to get it out there to see what the interest was , and probable sales price . Hoping for an off ebay sale .

My mission was basically accomplished . With a lot of insight from people here ,and some other helpful folks that contacted me .

At this point , with the range of possible sales prices , I would be inclined to hang on to it for a while . I was hoping for something closer to $700.

It seems like it is one of ones that I would regret getting rid of anyway. I think I will get some appropriate new strings for her , and strum it : )

Any recommendations for strings would be appreciated . Also I am wondering about stringing with the pin bridge . Are their special strings ? Or do you just knot them , and string them the same way you would a guitar?

Thanks , Sean

good move . would either keep it or give it away to someone like me. yea, give it away to me! seriously, that uke is a keeper. unless you really need the money KEEP IT. I'd try some Worth or Southcoast strings on it. You can just buy one set From Southcoast and shipping is included. you can try tying a figure 8 knot, but on the smaller diameter strings, you may have to tie a bead on to keep it from popping out.
happy strumming

Hi, I didn't see this thread until I started researching the Prince of Wales. Rick Pfrogner told me about the Prince of Wales at Elderly and I offered them $425 and they took it. A steal when you consider that it also came with an ~$60 hard case. It is dark and looks like a mahogany uke, finish wise but it's clearly koa. There is no crack on top that I could find but there is a small irregularity in the wood by the binding on the lower bout. I just received the uke today and it's got a great sound. I knew that I got a good deal, but when the mahogany model just went for over 1K on ebay, sheesh. The uke has great tone, resonance and projection and since I play my ukes rather than collect them, the darker finish doesn't bother me. The bridge is glued on solidly but it's not a pretty job and that's why they said it needs a reglue. I'll put a video up when I get the chance. ciao, g2

Top Bottom