Wound Low G

itsscottwilder

Reaction score
So I tried a wound low G like the Mya-Moe video suggested and after a few days I just don't like it.

The wound string sound too different from the rest of the strings tonally. To my ears it just stopped sounding like a ukulele.

Back to re-entrant tuning for me!

So I tried a wound low G like the Mya-Moe video suggested and after a few days I just don't like it.

The wound string sound too different from the rest of the strings tonally. To my ears it just stopped sounding like a ukulele.

Back to re-entrant tuning for me!

What about trying a non wound low g like Worth, Fremont or Southcoast strings?

My reaction to the wound low G was the same....I tried the Worth Brown low G set, and love them. I always allow a few days to adjust to a string change. Different feel goes from weird to normal feel quickly, I have found.

I really like the idea of having the low g...but I agree that the tone seems out of place with the rest of the strings. No matter how I play, the feel and tone of the string is a bit off.

I'll have to try out a non-wound low g (have to admit, I didn't realize anyone was making those!).

I have the wound Aquila Low G on my new Tenor and I really do like it but I'm glad my UAS keeps more then 1 uke in the house. I wouldn't want just a Low G uke. I have my Kala Concert and my son's Dolphin strung High g and I go back and forth between the 3. :)

There are songs I play that sound better on low G and songs I play that sound better with high G. Variety is the spice of life! :)

Originally Posted by wickedwahine11
What about trying a non wound low g like Worth, Fremont or Southcoast strings?
yeah, might try that. Will probably have to widen the nut though.
If you have any classical odd sets around with a spare G string you can be in for a nice surprize. As noted you may have to widen the nut.

Scott,
What brand wound string did you use? I like the Hilo and Alohi wound low G strings. Alohi's have a nice even sound to my ears.

I used D'addario. I think a .031 mm. The string didn't sound bad per se. It just sounded significantly different from the other stings.

I've experimented with a number of wound strings. I didn't really like the Aquila wound low G, and found the Worth low G OK. I then tried guitar strings including Savarez and D'Addario. What I found was that even in "normal tension" strings with a diameter of approx. 28mm. - 30mm., the sound was a little too "bold" and overpowered the other strings. After a search of this site, I came across several posts praising the D'Addario J4304 which is a light tension classical string wound in silver-plated copper. I've used them extensively on my Kanile'a and LoPrinzi tenors and find that they do fit in very well. Still, I have to adjust my technique to more of a "brush" vs. "pick" on the low G to get that mellow tone. Just Strings sells the J4304 for $.98 last time I bought.

Last edited:
Top Bottom