Source for four-on plate (mandolin) tuners for slot-head 8 string?

funaddict

Reaction score
Any one have a source for slot head mandolin tuners? Preferably in N. America, or Asia if low cost shipping is available? I just need 1 set. I found some from Australian Luthiers Supply, but the tuners and shipping for 1 set are creeping up on $100. I haven't been able to find anything else. If I can't find anything, I'll probably get some that are made for solid peg heads and convert them to slot head by modifying the posts. There are several factories making slot head 8 string ukes, kind of wondering where they get their tuners. I also thought about using individual tuners (Sta Tites) but by the time you get 4 in a row, the peg head of the uke looks insanely long - kind of overpowers the fret board in overall scale.
Any info would be appreciated.
Alan

When I made these I used Schaller mandolin tuners. They would come out at about $100 I suspect judging by the UK price. if you draw a blank then pm me - I modify 2-on-a-plate tuners for slotted headstocks by sleeving them with 8.3mm nylon. There is a trick to getting this right but I suspect you won't go this route because you end up with quite a thick headstock. As a final fix buy the restoration tuners from Stewmac designed for their 12 string sloted headstock and just chop them to length....

I have a set of gold five on a plate for slotted headstock if anyone wants them. I bought them for a five string mando project that went south. I'll never use them. Just pay shipping and they're yours.

Thanks for the responses. I finally just ordered some solid headstock ones and will attempt the post conversion, like Pete says. I was looking at the Rubners from Aus. Luthier Supply, but the shipping was a bit more. I might have gone for the ones from Small Wonder, if I had known. I guess my search-fu wasn't working so good that day. I'll let you know how the adaptation goes.
Alan

Top Bottom