Need help with set up.

philrab66

Reaction score
Hi all
Wasnt sure which board to put this one on so please move if needed.
I have just bought a Makala Dolphin for my niece as a surprise as she has shown interest in learning. I dont have huge amounts of cash so i thought I would give the dolphin a try.
A lot of people say they are good for the price with new strings on.
Anyway received it today the frets are so curved the fretboard looks like it has a radius on it in places and concave in others.
I have bought new strings for it but not put them on yet as it has fret buzz and wanted to sort that first.

So here is what i would like to know
1. one of the fret ends are sticking up slightly, how do I stop it coming up.
2.with that fret stuck down would I file / sand rest of frets down level with each other.
3. would i need to buy a special file to round frets back over.
4. and then i would probably have to lower action as there will be a lot coming off the frets to level them up.

I do not mind doing the work if i get a half decent sound. has anybody else had to do all this to get one playable?
Or should I just send it back and hope for a better one.
i live in UK and as far as i know nobody sells them set up.

I know its not the normal building or luthier questions but i would really appreciate so feedback.
Thanks Phil.

If you've just bought it, send it back. It should at least be playable, which it obviously isn't.
Where abouts in the UK?

Yes, the Dolphin is a great value. You can't expect them to be Kamakas but, you must expect them to be playable. Even a lower priced ukulele must be workable when it's new. I wouldn't restring it or try repairing/adjusting anything. I think you must return it for replacement. The problems you describe may be repairable, but they are serious. You deserve much better, and I'm quite sure the dealer and manufacturer will agree with me.

You're opening a can of worms, and unless you really want to learn lutherie...seriously...you're much better off either returning the uke or getting a pro to work on it. The fix to the problems are not easily related in quickie forum posts, and there is already a wealth of info on the Internet on fret work.

You could check out stewmac but you will quickly realize the cost for the tools will far exceed the cost of the Dolphin. Unless you plan to work on lots of ukes, better to return it. The cost for a pro to work on a Dolphin doesn't really make sense in my opinion.

Ahh, ukes built to be landfill, or at best, wall decorations in the tiki bar...don't you love it?

(sarcasm alert...)

Took fret out and reglued it. Filed frets down level rounded them off, bit of oil on the fretboard. All is well no buzzing action is ok intonation is not far off.
It is ok for intended purpose now thanks for your comments.

Top Bottom