UK luthier pricing question

chris667

Reaction score
Hello-

I am sure you've heard about the fiasco with my sister's uke. She's bought two now that don't really play properly; the action on both is very high. It's been a bit expensive for me, because she's taken the uke I bought for my dad, which means my dad's having my beloved Luna, which in turn means I've bought a baritone.

I'm going to miss my little Luna, but I am going to inherit these two damaged ones which will be nice to keep my hand in with the soprano size. They were free, I'd never have bought them, but I will try to use them.

So my question is this. How much would a luthier charge to fit some better strings and lower the action? And is there anyone around Derby or Reading that would be able to do the work? She can't have had two bad 'uns - I assume this is something more reputable shops must do with every uke they sell. One is a Mahalo, the other is a nameless thing.

I mean, surely they won't both have been made to never play?

Last edited:
Are they really damaged? It sounds like they have never been setup. Uke setups are usually pretty cheap, just be sure they give you a "uke" price and not the "guitar" price. I've encountered luthiers that will have setup a uke for free. Its usually a 5 minute process. Having two needing setups, I suspect you can get a good rate. Its always good to just call em. Asking in the Luthier's Lounge forum wouldn't hurt either.

Chris, bring them along to Willington on Sunday and I'll see if I can help. I am getting pretty good at this action setting lark and re-stringing is no problem.
Does the 667 bit of your handle mean you are the neighbour of the beast?! :D

It never occurred to me to ask you that!

They're down south with my sister. But I'm going back down in a couple of weeks so I'll bring them back with me.

And very perceptive! I've been using chris667 as my username on everything for about fifteen years now and you're the first person to spot it!:cool:

Not a tough thing to learn to do yourself, but it is great to be able to watch someone first.
As for all things beast...the Ukulele world needs more Maiden fans it seems
It never occurred to me to ask you that!

They're down south with my sister. But I'm going back down in a couple of weeks so I'll bring them back with me.

And very perceptive! I've been using chris667 as my username on everything for about fifteen years now and you're the first person to spot it!:cool:

Top Bottom