the rosewood or ebony fingerboard debate

weerpool

Reaction score
just recently went on a window-shopping spree for fingerboard material and i found this. any opinions as to how hard this bad boy is to work with and the amt of damage on tools and hands.
OR. just stick with the good ol' indian rosewood

thanks

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sh4FmwzthYY

Last edited:
I don't find working with ebony all that difficult. Certainly easier than many Australian hard woods. As long as tools are sharp (goes for any woodworking) there won't be a problem working with it.

thanks Allen for the input. what would you recommend as far as cutting them into fretboard stocks, a handsaw, tablesaw or a bandsaw?

I'm new to ukes, but have done a bit of resawing over the years, including thousands of 2"x .125" birch strips for dog sled building. It probably depends on your set up and how confident you are in your ability to consistantly resaw shorter stock. I would use a band saw, especialy with higher dollar wood, you might get an extra or two fingerboards out of those pieces with the thinner kerf of a band saw blade if your set up can cut well.

If your guides or tension is off, or you just set it up a little funky:), then you can end up with a bit of wobble in your cut at which point you loose a lot to sawdust, at which point you were probably better off to have used a table saw to begin with.

I resawed some ebony for some fretboards myself recently for the first time, I was supprised at how smooth it went, even more so than with some of the other woods I have experience with, I took it slow but had absolutly no problems with it. I was using a pretty small bandsaw, 93 1/2", 3/4" blade with 4TPI. I also was resawing a bit of other stuff so I had all the kinks worked out by the time I got to the ebony.

I too just went shopping for some Gaboon ebony, I'm paying a bit more than that at my end of the world, but it's important to support your local wood suppliers too. I brought home a piece at 2" x 3" x 5' last week, I'm pretty excited about it.

Why is this a debate? They're just different. Just get mandolin fingerboard blanks from LMI. No big deal, not terribly expensive.

Anything like that I always cut with my bandsaw as it's much safer, and less wasteful of wood. Besides my bandsaw is 21" one that cuts very accurately and clean. If all you have is a light duty one then your milage will probably vary.

Rick's right. A lot easier to just get the correct size from a reputable supplier.

Ebony is easy to cut. It is so fine grained that it cuts almost like plastic. Very few woods are actually hard enough to take the teeth off of your blade. Likelyhood of internal tension is what scares me the most in resawing wood. I have seen a couple boards of Ebony with enough tension to break the last 1/8" or so of the cut, but Ebony is one of the friendliest cutting woods of all, IMO. The thing that is scary about cutting Ebony is that once it is cut, it is difficult to undo the cut, so measure carefully. For resawing, definitely the bandsaw is the tool of choice. I use a Woodmaster CT carbide tipped, 1.25" blade on a Minimax saw. If all you had was a 1/4" sharp blade that was properly set up, tension, guides, fence drift, I think this would have no problem cutting a fretboard for a uke in Ebony, though it will need to be surfaced. One of the biggest concerns with Ebony, is it's age, and moisture content. My shop is on the dry side, usually about 40-50%, so I usually cut boards like Ebony, Cocobolo, Snakewood, Bocote, immediately on entering the shop, then coat them in shellac, and put them in the back room which is a little colder than my main room. For Ebony, and some other woods, I check them daily, or whatever the feel is, watching for checks, and filling anything that opens up with thin superglue. Purchasing a quality, seasoned fingerboard is a good idea for this reason, as opposed to cutting it from a thick board. If you are resawing from 8/4 lumber, or similar, it is a good idea to have lots of patience with the wood to ensure a homogenous, moisture content at equilibrium with your shop.

You can get rosewood guitar fingerboard blanks from Allied Lutherie for $2. You've got to buy 13 of them but surely $26 isn't the end of the world. One guitar fingerboard will yield a uke fingerboard, bridge, bridge plate, headstock overlay and bindings. you could probably get a nut and saddle out of it too. Not bad for $A1.85.

There really is no debate. I use all types of wood for my fret boards. Wenge to koa. No problem at all. Remember that your ukes are creative pieces too. Do not stick to convention. Branch out and try something new!

Good luck,
Darryl

Wenge = splinter wood!

And your choice of woods may depend on whether you are trying to make a living doing this, and if you are, does your reputation overcome customer resistance to alternative woods? I'm happy to say "yes" to both of these issues.

Have to agree with Rick on this.. Wenge is awesome.. When it is polished up past 3-4000 grit, the dark grain becomes like glass, super cool. The flat sawn cuts are especially awesome.

But, I have an Appalachian dulcimer with a Wenge fingerboard, never liked it. I would not pick Wenge as a fingerboard wood. I have amazing 'scraps' of many species, and lots of Wenge. Wenge has not even made it on the radar, for fingerboard, sides, back, top , inlay, nothing.. maybe a stand!

Love Wenge though..

Thanks everyone for all wonderful tips and suggestions. I have a very challenging customer at the moment and had specifically wanted ebony fretboard for the custom concert uke she'd ordered.i only ever worked with ebony on two occasions in the past and that was from LMII. I have tried everything to sway her about other wood alternatives but it seems like she's pretty set on Ebony. so i went and bought $168 worth of gaboon ebony just l;ike the ones on the video.dumb of me, maybe but we'll see. thank god im not into building for a living yet im still a full-time Nurse. again, i appreciate everyones input ( notably rick and Chris H)

Still not sure why you "tried everything to sway her about other wood alternatives". Other than becoming more and more rare (thanks to the Chinese guitar companies buying up everything they can...), ebony fingerboards are no big deal. In this craft, you've got to pick your battles, and sometimes that means buying processed fingerboard blanks, not trying to be Mr. Resaw. If you're set up for it and you've got good sources, fine, but otherwise, you're much better off buying blanks which are dry and have little internal stress than you are trying to process lumber into parts. I'm set up for milling billets into blanks...really set up with a 20 hp band resaw...and when it comes to fingerboards, I don't.

Wenge can look pretty, but I hate working with it. Like Rick said, splinter wood, and if you get one look out, they get infected instantly and the splinters will splinter again when you try to remove them! The dust is a nightmare and it will turn your fingers black like you just changed your oil. I have one customer (non-lutherie) who likes to make these wenge and chrome displays for his jewelry line. Not my favorite to fabricate, but they look great when they are done...

Wenge can look pretty, but I hate working with it. Like Rick said, splinter wood, and if you get one look out, they get infected instantly and the splinters will splinter again when you try to remove them!

We are getting a little off topic, but I love Wenge. I haven't used it for fingerboards (i eventually will) but I use it for back and sides wood. Yes, it can make some people itch, irritate your eyes, cause drowsiness, and the splinters are septic.....but its a great tone wood and looks very cool. Once you get it sanded, splinters are no longer a problem.

To answer the OP's question.....My fingerboard wood of choice is ebony, and I buy it from LMI.

Seems like just aesthetics to me. Sometimes rosewood has alot of resin that can clog your sandpaper quickly but otherwise they are both about the same to work with. Just depends what color fingerboard you like.

Top Bottom