1st uke decision making, need some help

lilkarebear

Reaction score
I've been doing tons of reading and researching (probably too much) all about ukuleles. I was pretty sure I was going to get the Islander MS-4 since everyone seems to be in agreement that they're great. But now I'm doubting the size choice. I went into Guitar Center, knowing they wouldn't have much, but just to at least pick some up before I buy something. So even though I love how tiny the sopranos are, I think maybe the concert is a better size. I don't know if that is because they only had really cheapy feeling sopranos or not, I'm going to go to Sam Ash to see if they have any better quality sopranos to feel so I know if it was the size or the quality that I didn't like.

So anyway, now I'm looking at the concert size, so obviously the Islander MC-4 is a choice. But I had picked up a Cordoba at the store (I think it was Cordoba 20CM) that felt nice. It was loud in there and I don't know how to play yet but what I did hear sounded good to me. I did some looking and that one is $149 and it comes with a case, and it has a solid top, where the Islander is $109 no case and all laminate.

And then I was looking online and saw the Kala KA-C for $98 & Kala KA-CG for $119( I think they have a solid top? Only difference is satin finish or gloss I think? Worth $20 more for gloss?)

And the Cordoba 15CM which is $99, all laminate, no case.

So now what do I do? Any opinions and help!!! would be wonderful and so so helpful, hopefully, haha.

Just a word of warning- If it doesn't explicitly say "solid" then it's not solid. Those two Kalas aren't solid. They're both laminate, but one is satin finish, one is gloss.

If I had to do my first purchase over again, I would have gotten a solid instrument. Although, I wasn't sure I would even be able to learn, so I ended up getting the Kala Pineapple, which is all laminate. Once I got my first solid instrument, I was blown away. Even now, I can still hear the difference.

Of the Cordoba, Kala, and Islander lines, everyone praises the Islanders. In any case, any uke from HMS will be well set-up and will be a joy to play.

Ultimately, it's your decision! Good Luck!

I've been doing tons of reading and researching (probably too much) all about ukuleles. I was pretty sure I was going to get the Islander MS-4 since everyone seems to be in agreement that they're great. But now I'm doubting the size choice. I went into Guitar Center, knowing they wouldn't have much, but just to at least pick some up before I buy something. So even though I love how tiny the sopranos are, I think maybe the concert is a better size. I don't know if that is because they only had really cheapy feeling sopranos or not, I'm going to go to Sam Ash to see if they have any better quality sopranos to feel so I know if it was the size or the quality that I didn't like.

So anyway, now I'm looking at the concert size, so obviously the Islander MC-4 is a choice. But I had picked up a Cordoba at the store (I think it was Cordoba 20CM) that felt nice. It was loud in there and I don't know how to play yet but what I did hear sounded good to me. I did some looking and that one is $149 and it comes with a case, and it has a solid top, where the Islander is $109 no case and all laminate.

And then I was looking online and saw the Kala KA-C for $98 & Kala KA-CG for $119( I think they have a solid top? Only difference is satin finish or gloss I think? Worth $20 more for gloss?)

And the Cordoba 15CM which is $99, all laminate, no case.

So now what do I do? Any opinions and help!!! would be wonderful and so so helpful, hopefully, haha.

i would say always try and get a solid top. You can not go wrong with that Corboda 20 cm in my opinion if you are buying from HMS that will include set up aswell.

If it feels and sounds nice to you, then get it. Sure you can get Islander and Kala (you can't go wrong with either), but is it worth the wait to you? For your first uke, don't worry about specs, solid tops, etc. etc., make sure it feels and sounds great to you personally.

The Guitar center by me doesn't have much either. The Sam Ash had a much larger selection, still geared towards starter models but a few mid level and some all solid Lanikai's. In the end just get what looks good or sounds good to yourself, if your happy with your instrument your more apt to practice and keep playing.

I thought I read somewhere that the Kala's had a solid top but then it didn't say it on the HMS site hence the question mark, haha. Thanks for clearing that up.

I'm going to have to wait for the ukulele anyway because I want to get it properly setup from HMS so that's not an issue.

More opinions please :)

If it feels and sounds nice to you, then get it. Sure you can get Islander and Kala (you can't go wrong with either), but is it worth the wait to you? For your first uke, don't worry about specs, solid tops, etc. etc., make sure it feels and sounds great to you personally.

Yes this exactly +1

My first Uke was a luna tattoo (laminate)

I still love playing it.

I've had my Islander MT-4 for about a week now and absolutely love it. Although I would have loved a solid uke initially, I'll do most of my learning on the Islander and invest in a solid one later down the road. Aloha!

What everyone else has said so far.

My feeling is you will get a much much much better uke for your money if you go with the Islander over the Kala or Cordoba. I had a chance to play them side-by-side and the difference was pretty incredible. The Islander is just better made, better looking (in my opinion), easier to play, and way better sounding.

Since this is your first uke, I see two choices for you.

First: be patient and get the best uke you can for your money, which (in my opinion) is the Islander. It may be tough to wait, but you'll get a uke you will probably keep for a long time, and which will grow with you.

Second: get what you can right now so you can at least start playing, and then save up some money for an upgrade. This is good because you get your instant gratification, but you will likely end up just replacing the uke at some point.

Best of luck!

Call MGM Mike and ask for his opinion between these two ukes. He'll give you the straight scoop. Generally a solid top uke should sound better than an all-laminate uke, but Islander (designed & inspected by Kanile'a) seems to have raised the bar significantly for laminate ukes.

Be sure to ask Mike about the 2012 Islanders. They will have gold headstock imprint instead of white. I also think there is an Acacia laminate version that is due to arrive sometime soon. I'd be interested to see & hear how that compares to the Mahogany laminate.

Hi lilkarebear,

I recently pulled the trigger and bought my first uke as a b-day present to myself, and I chose the Cordoba 20CM. I initially got it because it is the best priced solid-top uke, and secondly because it is made by a Portuguese luthier, the native home of the ukulele. I LOVE my uke! The fit-and-finish as well as the quality is much better than other ukes in the same price range; the fret wires are smooth on the edges, the inlays are clean, the action on the strings is low, and it sounds great...not "twingy" like a toy. There are some minor imperfections, but remember, it's not a $1200 instrument!

I have to say I was disappointed when I saw "Made in China" on the label (all my internet research never yeilded where it was made), but it looks and sounds nice, and I like how the neck is much narrower than a traditional ukulele, which fits my playing style better.

Also, the case that is included is much nicer than the case that comes with other brands. It has thick padding, and a nice shoulder strap (although the pad on the shoulder strap is overkill for such a light-weight intrument!).

That having been said, I never seen or heard an Islander uke in person; when I was shopping around I was comparing the Cordoba to Kala, Lanikai, and Oscar Schmidt.

Hope this is helpful,
-Tsaw

Last edited:

+1

I would personnally go with the one that feels good. Here's why I have this opinion say this.

1. If you get bit by the bug, your going to be buying another one (or 5) in the next couple months. If not, your not out a lot of money.
2. When you know what you like, you can get a nice Uke and you'll be amazed at how great it sounds.

The catch is not to buy one that is poor quality so that you don't enjoy playing it. I think that ANY of the models you mentioned would be GREAT for a first uke!

Happy Strumming!

Jim

Last edited:
...I like how the neck is much narrower than a traditional ukulele, which fits my playing style better.
The flip side to this is that the Cordoba might not be ideal if you prefer a wider neck, which is what the Islander has. It all depends on your own preferences.

Cordoba doesn't publish nut width, but most Concerts seem to have a nut width of 1 3/8". The Islander is a few hairs under 1 1/2".

Happy birthday and happy new uke to you, Tsaw! Have a blast with your Cordoba!
...Mahalo!

lilkarebear,
Be sure to let us know which 4-string you decide to get...and what you name her!
-Tsaw

P.S. I forgot to mention, the intonation on my Cordoba isn't the greatest...for example, on the E-string, if I play a G it is slightly sharp. It's not horribe if you're a novice like me. But if you're a pro, you would probably be looking at a high price-range anyhow.

Last edited:
I e-mailed MGM Mike and this is what he wrote: "Usually when I do blind test for a customer between those 2 you a picked the islander the islander sounds a little more rich and warm and they chose that. The Cordoba also sounds good but doesn't seem as loud but has that clearer crispier sound. Of the two I would pick the islander."

I think I will probably go with the Islander since I do like a warmer sound. But I'm not making a decision till Sunday or Monday (when I take a look at Sam Ash) so if anyone else has more to add that would be great.

and Happy Birthday tsaw! Mine was last month :)

...Mahalo!

lilkarebear,
Be sure to let us know which 4-string you decide to get...and what you name her!
-Tsaw

P.S. I forgot to mention, the intonation on my Cordoba isn't the greatest...for example, on the E-string, if I play a G it is slightly sharp. It's not horribe if you're a novice like me. But if you're a pro, you would probably be looking at a high price-range anyhow.

Now that you have the Cordoba, you have some options. The nut and saddle are plastic....get some bone ones and do a setup. The tuners work fine, but for less than $20 you can get some Grover geared tuners. I have the tenor cutaway and the Aquilas that came on it sounded too sharp to my ears. I was surprised at the full tone...and mine is loud. Not a lot of money for these upgrades unless you have to pay a luthier to do it, but you will end up with a fine sounding concert. Just my opinion.

I went to Sam Ash today. And I still don't know whether I want a soprano or concert. Now I think I'm leaning toward the soprano. I'm sure I'll like either, I just hate making decisions, haha. So it will either be the Islander MS-4 or MC-4. Any input on which size to get? I know it's personal preference but I'd like to hear any pros/cons for the sizes for a total beginner. And then maybe I can finally make a decision and order it. :)

Oh, and I was going to order some extra strings as well. I know that Worth gets a lot of praise on these boards, does anyone have any suggestions for the Islander? I know that they come with Aquila, so I was going to order a different brand to experiment. I was thinking either the Worth Browns or Ko'olau Alohi or Mahana???

Last edited:
If you tried both at Sam Ash and neither size seemed to jump out at you then either would do. If you want to invest a bit less just in case you don't like it, go for the soprano.

There. Decision made. Now you can order.

Top Bottom