Looking like a Mainland morning!

kenikas

Reaction score
I just checked the tracking on UPS and it shows my new Mainland Gloss Mango Concert is out for delivery today! I'll finally get to see why Mainland owners are so fanatical about their ukes.

Aloha kenikas,
Congrats on your new arrival. I haven't played one yet but read nothing but good things about them. I have a different brand Mango Concert and it sounds sweet and warm, as opposed to it's brother Koa Concert. Besides the sound, the wood is beautiful. I'm sure you'll love it...............................BO......................

I have 3 Mainland soprano's and they are all great. One each mahogany, mango, and red cedar. The mango is the lightest of the 3. Wonderful looking and playing ukulele's.

Bettah den drums, bettah den geetars, Mainland ukes are frikin good...Congratulations Happy Strummings..
Mainlands are worth every cent....and the same size as martins..

Oooh, mangos are back in stock, eh? I have / have had Mainland tenors in mango, mahogany and red cedar and I have to say the mango is hands-down my favorite. I had it at UWC last year and somebody offered to buy it - I told them they'd have to pry it from my cold dead fingers - they said that could be arranged... LOL

John

For those who have all mahogany, red cedar, and mango, I wondered if you could tell me which tonewood has sound closest to Koa. I love the bright, loud, and sustain sound of KoAloha, but can't afford a KoAloha tenor. So, I'm thinking about getting a tenor withint $300 budget. And Mainland is still my first choice. But I can't decide which tonewood I should get.

Last edited:
For those who have all mahogany, red cedar, and mango, I wondered if you could tell me which tonewood has sound closest to Koa. I love the bright, loud, and sustain sound of KoAloha, but can't afford a KoAloha tenor. So, I'm thinking about getting a tenor withint $300 budget. And Mainland is still my first choice. But I can't decide which tonewood I should get.

I think the mangos sound somewhat similar to mahogany with some of the "airiness" of koa.

You Hoo, where are you Kenikas? I assume the Mainland arrived and we won't be hearing back from you for awhile.

Where's the update? Did you get the Mainland?

Sorry all, yes the uke arrived but (as often happens) work got in the way of ukeing! I haven't really had much time to sit down and get aquainted with it much less get any pic's but I was blown away as soon as I unpacked it. It is a very pretty uke, I love the look of the mango and though I was a little leary of the rope binding (it always seemed a bit garish in photos) I love the way it looks in person. I'm still stretching in the Aquila's it came with and they seem to be a pretty good fit, I do want to try some flourocarbons on it. But as Hoosierhiver said it seems to be in between my mahogany and koa ukes soundwise, leaning a bit toward the koas. Hoping to get some quality time with it in the next few days and I'll try to get some pic's although I'm a bit digitally challenged as far as getting them posted here. Oh and thanks again to Mike and everyone at Mainland.

Top Bottom