Cayucos Ukulele Works - Hand Made Tenor Ukes from Cayucos, California

KimosTherapy

Reaction score
New find.

Hand made ukes by California Luthier Bruce Jackson(Cayucos Ukulele Works) from Cayucos, CA. (San Luis Obispo County)

Bruce believes in building ukuleles that are a true reflection of what Cayucos locals like to call the perfect fusion of Hawaiian and California culture. Many of the instruments are crafted with local redwood that Bruce has harvested himself. An expert luthier, Bruce creates tenor style ukuleles built with a blend of koa, old growth coastal redwood, mahogany, cedar and rosewood.

Here's a link to his website:

http://autumnsungallery.com/bruce-jackson-ukulele/

I spoke with Bruce and found out that he's recently retired. He's technically challenged when it comes to computers and modern technology, so at this time, he does not have any sound clips or video samples of his ukes. He told me that he has a friend that will help him in that regard.

He has several ukes in stock for sale at this time.

Man, those ukes are awesome -- but only tenors?! When he starts making sopranos he's got at least one customer.

Thanks for sharing the link.

Aloha Bruddah K,
Mahalo for the scoop. Nice for the prices. Now you can check for yourself the Redwood/Koa Tenors.
The Kapakahi headstock looks trippy eh?.............................BO...........................

Ho, Bruddah BO!!!

Howzit Brah, how you??? 'A'ole pilikia, Brah. Yeah ... I know what you mean about da Kapakahi headstock ... some people going like 'em, oddahs not going like 'em.

Bruce said he wen come up with da headstock design as some sort of Hawaiian & California fusion..?? Hhhaaaa??? Da headstocks stay different fo' shua!!! I like some of his wood combos, though.

Shoot den!

Kimo

Last edited:
Man, those ukes are awesome -- but only tenors?! When he starts making sopranos he's got at least one customer.

Thanks for sharing the link.

Don't mention it Brah! Why not try getting in touch with Bruce and ask if he will build a custom soprano? Won't hurt to ask. Have a great weekend!

Aloha,

Kimo

I'm happy to see that there's a luthier in Cayucos, he's only 2 hours away from me:). I'll have to check one out.....

Ah man I would love to buy one of these soon, I have a strong personal connection to Cayucos and the surrounding waters. They look amazing, and should sound great, but I'd buy one just because it's built in Cayucos.

Kimo, much mahalos fo da link. The instruments look good and so is da price. Da headstock unique and will give it a different look and characteristic. I like da cedar/koa one. I wonda if he can do one 8 string?

Kimo, much mahalos fo da link. The instruments look good and so is da price. Da headstock unique and will give it a different look and characteristic. I like da cedar/koa one. I wonda if he can do one 8 string?

Ho, Bruddah Danny!

'A'ole pilikia, Brah. I like da Koa/Cedar combination, too! Da headstock design stay unique fo' shua! Give Bruce one call and ask him if he can make one 8 stringah fo' you.

Shoots den!

Kimo

Those are beautiful! I'd love to hear them, so please keep us posted for when the sound samples are available. Thanks.

Talked story with Bruce and he's still working on getting sound/video samples for his ukes. I asked him on whether or not he plans on building soprano and concert ukes in the future and he said if there are enough future inquiries about building them, then he will probably do so.

Last edited:
I ordered one of these ukes and was a little disappointed. I was really excited to see a local luthier producing ukes and I liked the wood option of redwood over mahogany. From the website pics, it looked pretty good but after receiving the uke, it didn't live up to my expectations.
I thought there might be issues with the top as the fretboard was sloping into the sound hole and there were some minor finish issues. I found some remnants leftover from the building process but they didn't bug me that much.
The odd thing to me was that the G and C strings were wound and it made for a very different sound. It definitely had some low end response and a nice warm timbre from the mahogany.
Overall, I just couldn't get over the issue with the fretboard and possibility of future problems. I definitely see promise in the design and sound and I don't want to discourage people from trying these ukes as this is just one review and mine could have been an isolated case. Just wanted to give my two cents.....

Wound G & C strings have been used before and I believe Ko'olau offers them in their sets.

Last edited:
I thought there might be issues with the top as the fretboard was sloping into the sound hole and there were some minor finish issues. I found some remnants leftover from the building process but they didn't bug me that much.

What do you mean when you say "the fretboard was sloping into the soundhole"? Was the top bellied? Also, "some remnants leftover from the build process"? Were these glue drops inside? Outside? Can you show some pictures to help clarify?

He has a return policy which is:

Return policy for Cayucos Ukulele Works

Bruce knows that when deciding on the final purchase of a musical instrument you need to hold, touch and play it.
So don’t worry if the instrument you receive might not be the right fit for you, you can return it within 14 days for a full refund through PayPal.
Please contact Bruce first before you ship back the merchandise that you wish to return.
Merchandise must be returned in the original condition, in the original packaging and should show no signs of wear or abuse.
Refunds are made for product value only, excluding shipping and handling charges to return item.

The fretboard had a bump where it joined the body and then sloped downwards towards the sound hole. the top also looked a bit wavy, not flat or arched.
I saw pencil marks and excess glue on the inside of the body and what looked to me like tool marks on the outside. I wasn't looking for perfection but it just didn't seem very finished to me. I would have gladly posted pics but I ended up returning the uke because I felt it would have structural issues as it gets older.

I just received Cayucos Ukulele Works fishbone deluxe tenor 210031. It is a solid mahogany back and sides, solid redwood top tenor ukulele. I strung it up with clear Worth CTs with a low G and did a quick soundbite video. Here is a link to my YouTube channel where the video is featured:

http://www.youtube.com/user/WhenDogsSing?feature=mhee

I have nothing to say except positive and good about this instrument. It plays easy, sounds and looks great, and is built very well. If you are a nitpicker, you can see small cosmetic things here and there but, one must remember, it is a handmade instrument. I look at these small, inconsequential things as being part of what gives it a personality of its own. I recommend that anyone who is wanting to buy a quality, handmade, reasonably priced, tenor ukulele should at least take a look at what Cayucos Ukulele Works has to offer. I have no connection to Cayucos Ukulele Works and have not received any compensation for this honest appraisal...!!!

I just received Cayucos Ukulele Works fishbone deluxe tenor 210031. It is a solid mahogany back and sides, solid redwood top tenor ukulele. I strung it up with clear Worth CTs with a low G and did a quick soundbite video. Here is a link to my YouTube channel where the video is featured:

http://www.youtube.com/user/WhenDogsSing?feature=mhee

I have nothing to say except positive and good about this instrument. It plays easy, sounds and looks great, and is built very well. If you are a nitpicker, you can see small cosmetic things here and there but, one must remember, it is a handmade instrument. I look at these small, inconsequential things as being part of what gives it a personality of its own. I recommend that anyone who is wanting to buy a quality, handmade, reasonably priced, tenor ukulele should at least take a look at what Cayucos Ukulele Works has to offer. I have no connection to Cayucos Ukulele Works and have not received any compensation for this honest appraisal...!!!

Aloha Tim,

Mahalo for the review and video sample of your new Cayucos Deluxe Redwood/Mahogany Tenor! The uke sound GREAT!!! Nice playing, too!

I've had several conversations over the phone with Bruce and he's a really nice guy. Bruce is pretty old school and technically challenged. I recommended to him that he needs sound and video samples of his ukes on his website so that those of us interested in his ukes have an idea what they sound like. I really like what I hear from your video clip and I especially like the Redwood top! I'm glad that you like your Cayucos uke.

Remember, those of you interested in a reasonably priced handmade instrument - there will be cosmetic imperfections here and there because they are NOT being made by cnc machinery.

Mahalo again WDS for your review and video clip! Oh yeah ... your dog seems to like how your uke sounds as well!!! Lol!

Malama Pono,

Kimo

Last edited:
Top Bottom