Ping Pong Balls As Fingernails

ItsAMeCasey

Reaction score
Hey guys, really exciting news! I tried using a ping pong ball as a fake fingernail and it works really well! The tone/feel is extremely close to that of a real finger nail. I'm really stoked about this as it's much cheaper and easier than going to a nail salon to have an acrylic nail installed. Here a link to the guide I used:

http://www.longmire.com/nails/index.htm

Warning: If you're planning on trying this, be very careful and follow all the steps in that guide. This isn't for everyone, and there are things that can go wrong. As far as I've read though, it doesn't do permanent damage to your actual nail.

I can honestly say that this has solved a huge problem as far as my playing. Hope it helps a few of you that have the same problem I had. Use with caution though!

I just apply "Nailene" to about 1/8 inch on the tip of thumb and index and middle. (It is used for nail repair) It is also in the cosmetic section.
Every 10 days the nails need a bit of filing so reapply. Time taken is about 3 to 4 minutes and that includes the drying time of the "Nailene" cement or glue.

Hey guys, really exciting news! I tried using a ping pong ball as a fake fingernail and it works really well!

That's a fabulous way to add bounce to any ukulele tune. That's my spin on it, anyway.

That's a fabulous way to add bounce to any ukulele tune. That's my spin on it, anyway.

Hmm well I reckon your a bit batty - but depends on the net result I guess. If you're game go for it - ;)

I guess with it being inserted under the nail it is pretty natural, kind of like having a thicker nail. Still when I saw this and read the link I had to chuckle. Be careful with the super glue. I tried to unclog the cap of some superglue by blowing in it and ended up gluing my lips together. That was rather dumb A$$. I glad it didn't get in my eyes.

The name of the game is pong ping because when the spectators entered the game had already started.

The great John Renbourn has been using them for a long time.

Hey guys, really exciting news! I tried using a ping pong ball as a fake fingernail and it works really well! The tone/feel is extremely close to that of a real finger nail. I'm really stoked about this as it's much cheaper and easier than going to a nail salon to have an acrylic nail installed. Here a link to the guide I used:

http://www.longmire.com/nails/index.htm

Warning: If you're planning on trying this, be very careful and follow all the steps in that guide. This isn't for everyone, and there are things that can go wrong. As far as I've read though, it doesn't do permanent damage to your actual nail.

I can honestly say that this has solved a huge problem as far as my playing. Hope it helps a few of you that have the same problem I had. Use with caution though!

Not to criticize this, but the whole process gives me the willies. If you get acetone on the nail bed, you're in for a whole lot of pain, etc. Of course, this shouldn't occur unless you've got a fractured nail, but still...

Once you've built up the nail, you've created a stronger one than your finger and nailbed were designed to have. Beware snagging the nail or it'll rip away - a whole lot of pain, etc.

Anyway, here's another pretty good musician's solution, with video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BqISqpMRo8&feature=player_embedded

I'm often amazed and impressed with the extremes to which true musicians will go for their craft.

:)

Top Bottom