Acabo'oe's completed Hana Lima Ukulele

acabooe

Reaction score
Well, here it is. My fall Hana Lima Ia class is over, and I am kinnda sad to not be going there n e more, but I had a great experience.
Mike, and Asa are great people.
Here are some pics of my completed Ukulele.
It is made of Bubinga, Western Red Cedar, Ebony, Spruce, and Koa, with Paua Abalone and White MoP inlays.
It is tuned Low G with Aquila strings.
Hope you guys like it.

Here is what I started with
DSC09187.jpg

Here is what it looks like now
DSC09291.jpg

DSC09293.jpg

and here is Asa Chock, My classmate Sharon, Mike Chock, and I.
DSC09289.jpg

I'll put up a sound video soon.
Aloha
Bob

Bob, what a small world. Sharon is my girlfriend's brother-in-law's mom.

Hey everyone,
Here is a video of me playing my new Ukulele.
Please excuse my playing, I haven't practiced in a while :p
O well, aloha
Bob

that uke looks outstanding. congrats on completing the course. so what's your overall feeling about the course?

I feel awesome about it.
The way Mike breaks everything down, anyone can understand it, weather you have been a luthier for 14 years, or never touched an instrument before in your life.
Now, I need to just try and retain all of the stuff the Mike taught me and Sharon, and apply it to my future builds.

Aloha
Bob

Great Uke

Hi Bob,
I'm glad to see that you have finished your ukulele that is nearly the same as the one I am building from Hana Lima kit. Mine is just taking me a bit longer due to other life's commitments! I've the sides bent, the heel trimmed and now I just got inspired from your finished uke. I also have the same rosette too! By the way, I saw your other uke on Hana Lima's message board. Pretty cool shape, how does it play? Way to go Bob.:)

UkuleleSawanlets,
Hey thanks.
Yeah, I thought that our kits were pretty similar. I am happy with the progress of this one, and now I have a benchmark to beat next time.

As far as my SSU goes, it plays ok, a little quiet, and I still need to adjust a few things to get it where I want it ( hence no vid of me playing it yet ) but for a prototype designed and built completly from scratch, I am happy with it.

Great job on the progess of your build. I will be looking forward to see how yours turned out.
Good luck, and take care
Bob

Experimentjon,
The class at Hana Lima Ia was $500 for 10 4ish hour classes.
The classes were every Saturday starting at 9am, and the next classes start in about 2 weeks if you wanna get in, I still think that there is room.
You have to pay $50 deposit, and the rest of the $450 is due at the first class.
You can check out this
http://www.hanalima.com/classschedule.shtml
for more details, and if you still have questions, give Asa a call or comment, he is a good guy.

If you do go to the class, and if you wanna hear a funny story, ask Mike "why is Bob called the Thumb Man". That'll give you a laugh.

Hope this helps
Aloha
Bob

Last edited:
Very nice! Now all I have to do is convince the wife and kids to let me go to Hawaii every weekend for a couple months......
I believe Aldrine has a chicken coop you can share with Manny... just get your sleeping bag and tell the wife you're "on a business trip to the Amazon to sell courses in real estate management to the locals".

Those classes sound cool though. Getting a custom uke is nice, but making your own *if it sounds nice enough* must be really great.

Very nice! Now all I have to do is convince the wife and kids to let me go to Hawaii every weekend for a couple months......

Haha, well actually, if you are seriously interested Hana Lima Ia does offer an accelerated course that is 5 days a week for 2 weeks. The days are longer, and time is always an issue, but it happens every year, and is open to people from the mainland, other countries, and outer islands.
The cost is still $500.
You might check that out for next year if it sounds interesting.

Also, thanks to everyone for the wonderful compliments.

Aloha
Bob

That is really inspiring Bob. Thanks for sharing.

i have a question...do they give you an option on what kind of wood you like use? and different features you want on it? or is all that extra? or do you have to bring in those materials your self?

Basically how does this work? is everything given to you and its like a buffet line and you get to choose your stuff for one set price of 500.00? or is it like a freaking sushi bar, you can have anything you like but it is all ala carte, each costing something a little different?

Top Bottom