Will I have to grow them back?

Shazzbot

Reaction score
Going to Costa Rica for two weeks.
Into the hinterlands to see me some sloths.
Way too humid to bring my Flea.
Will all that moisture and clean living make my fingetip calluses go away?

Do they have a Costa Rican version of a ukulele?

Last edited:
There's a guy on YouTube who goes by stukulele. He took his Fluke to Costa Rica and speaks highly of how well it did in that environment. If you want to see videos of him playing his Fluke in Costa Rica you can see them here:

http://www.youtube.com/user/StUkulele/featured

If his Fluke could do it, your Flea should be OK too.

Nix

P.S. I went to a conference in Monterey, CA for a measley 5 days and lost some of my finger toughness. Couldn't believe it.

I'm fascinated by the Risa.
They don't seem to be very availble in the US though.
DeSilva is the only place I can find.

I live in Costa Rica....No Problem with Uke here. Where are you going?? I run a boat out of Los Suenos Marina. I live in Jaco.

I'm fascinated by the Risa.
They don't seem to be very availble in the US though.
DeSilva is the only place I can find.

Shazzbot: Darn, there's been about 2-3 on UU Marketplace within the past 6 weeks or so. They usually sell fairly quickly. (one recent seller, as I recall, didn;t answer his PM's and it upset some pot'l buyers). I played mine today--a RISA stick soprano--and it's lovely, just lovely. Entire package is (I'm measuring it right now) 18 inches by 3.25 inches wide by 1 inch thick (you can carry it in a messenger back or backpack easily), and I just tossed mine on a scale and it's (with strap) 15.44 ounces. Unlike a Flea or other uke, this one is nearly indestructible. You could step on it with workboots and it'd be fine. If they make you check it (unlikely, as they won;t even know you have it--it'll be neatly in your bag), even the baggage handlers can't smash it. It comes with a perfect fit custom padded gig bag, and the uke strap serves also as the gig bag strap--how neat is that@!

I was having issues, as you might see on the thread, with tuning, but I have it sorted out--it was me, not the uke. And I have the older friction tuners (now they are geared) and I have no more problem with them than any other friction tuners. And it stays in tune well. German made. You would put out a WTB in the Marketplace and see what turns up, don't know when you're going to Costa Rica but keep eye out, and as you're going for two full weeks (plus other trips on the future), it's a reasonable investment (I think the soprano is about $275 new--there's some sellers on eBay). Not as rare as you'd think. Bulletproof for travel. And you can even play in the airport as you can hear it, but it's not overpowering for those around you. Then, if you want, get a tiny Fender or Honeytone battery amp and a 3 foot guitar cable. Or, just forget it and be pleased with it as is, acoustic.

No guarantees that you'll be as cute as the girl on that third video from playing one, but it's still cool. lol And, I have little doubt, the sloths will open their eyes and look at you when you pull that RISA out from your backpack and play your ukulele waaay out there in the rain forest. lol

Last edited:
My Risa alert for eBay popped one up just this afternoon, go do a search and you should find it. They usually go fairly reasonable.

They work awesome with a Vox amplug. I got the Night Train version for the chorus effect. You can even get a tiny speaker made for the amplug, and there you have a small packable solution that allows you to play with and without headphones. The amplug's speaker is not loud, which I count as a plus.

I had an older concert stick, but the neck on the tenor is so much nicer. The shaping of the back of the neck on all the sticks may well have been improved. The geared tuners look great. If a site has the stick for cheaper, the tuners are probably friction.

Thanks for the input folks.
Since I leave tomorrow morning, it's a bit late for a Risa.
CR Dave, we fly into San Jose, spend two days in Arenal, three in Monteverde then catch a Windstar sailboat in Puerto Caldera to bounce around the Pacific Coast for a week stopping in San Juan Del Sur - Nicaragua, Playas Del Coco, Quepos, Bahia Drake, Curu then Tortuga Island. So I guess Quepos is as close as we get to you. Dang, it would be nice to meet you.
Seems I will have to resort to acacia rubbing.

Dave, do they have an instrument that's similar to an ukulele in Costa Rica?

I think the Amplugs are worth it even for the Eleuke owners. With a decent set of headphones, like Koss Portapros or better, the sound is so good, you wish you could record it. The headphone outs on the Eleukes aren't good at all (no slam on the Eleuke, I had one they're great, it's just that headphone out should never be a reason to get one, you'll be disappointed if it is.).

Have Fun! Not much of a Ukulele scene here. There are some Gringos making some cigar box ukes up in Tamarindo area. But they are more for look than playing. No one I know plays. They don't sell them anywhere here. My number is 2643 3867 if you get some time give me a call. Dave

I've gone without playing for about that time and my calluses did not go away in any significant sense. I think because the calluses required for uke are so minimal in comparison to other instruments, they'll take longer to 'fade.' Have fun on your vacation!

Top Bottom