Painful String Pressure

flawedfingers

Reaction score
Hi,

I'm new here. I'm a pianist but recently got myself 3 lanikai Ukes, a baritone, tenor and concert. I've played a little guitar before so expected that for a while getting enough pressure on strings would cause some temporary discomfort.

But while my baritone is relatively easy, the tenor and concert Ukes require substantial string pressure despite not having wildly high action. I'm assuming this discomfort will disappear after a while. I'm doing daily excercises playing semitones on single notes with JUST enough pressure for the note to sound, and being careful to place my fingers in the right part of each fret. While this is helping I wonder whether lowering the action will be of much help, or whether it is just a matter of time and practice?

It's probably a combination of fingertips, action and strings. For action, the easy test is that a business card just fits under the first fret. Different strings will also make a difference. After that it's practice, practice, practice.

Hope this helps

If you're feeling uncomfortable with the tenor strings, Daddario make low/mid tension tenor strings for ukuleles if you feel like changing.

If you're feeling uncomfortable with the tenor strings, Daddario make low/mid tension tenor strings for ukuleles if you feel like changing.

Good idea. Also you could try Worth Lights (CL or BL) or SouthCoast Light strings. Practice often but build up the length of practice sessions over time. Maybe start with no more that 20-30 minutes of playing at a time. When callouses are developed on your finger tips it won't hurt, this may take a month or two. Also lower the action at the nut as low as possible without buzzing.

Check your action first,it may not LOOK particularly high
but could still be causing problems! And don't concentrate
on single note playing,practice CHORDS too.That will improve
your grip and the overall 'feel' of your instrument.
Also,Worth Broens are kinder than Aquilas on your hands,
if you are a newbie to the uke!
Plenty of threads exist on here about setting your action up
to suit YOU,use the search function.And persevere!

Top Bottom