Thailand Ukulele Festival 2012

SuzukHammer

Reaction score
I went to the first day held yesterday in Bangkok. My participation was limited because I have a new 6 month old and it was so hot yesterday, we had to take the baby inside for airconditioning and then home to make sure he didn't get sick.

Here is my boy playing on my KWave.

DSC04953.jpgDSC04954.jpgDSC04955.jpg

I met and introduced myself to several folks of interest:

Mainland Mike and his wife Tookta,
Joe and Kristen Souza
Aldrine
Eric Devine
Kimo Hussey
and others from UU - too many to remember.

Some observations.
All nice people.

Shaking hands with Kimo - that gentleman has strong ukulele hands. I had noticed my hands are strong in that webbing between the index finger and the thumb; but, Kimo's was one of the strongest hands I have ever shook hands with. He reminded me of my dad, the way he is - very comfortable and relaxed.

Joe and Kristen Souza (Kanilea) really looked like they enjoy their life. Joe sang and hit some real high notes and sustained those notes in some hawaiian songs he played with Aldrine and Salvador ( I space his name right now). Kristen also provided some hula dancing which she did with great grace. I had just bought my signature Aldrine Guerrero uke from Kanilea so it was nice to meet the makers.

Speaking of which, Aldrine came by to chat. He played my Kwave and didn't slobber on it like my son. I promised to make a sound sample once I have the signature AG in my hands. Aldrine has lost lots of weight. I didn't recognize him at first when he was playing with Joe Souza. Thanks for coming by Aldrine. I know you were busy.

Mike Hater and his wife, Tookta- (Mainland Ukes) Just the best easy going people. I suggested Mike take a 2 hour foot massage. I hope he does that.

Eric Devine. I expect most luthiers to be older retired gentlemen - kinda like a shed hermit troll. Eric is like a superhero Captain America sorta guy. He's young and just kinda glides on the ground. I wanted to take a picture of him with me and my baby cause the uke I will be buying from him is the family heirloom for my baby. Its so hot that I don't think we can muster taking the baby again and risking dehydration. Maybe Eric can use one of the photos to add to the Devine label in the soundhole.

I made sure to tell some of the folks there about UWC. SOme of them said they wanted to go.

Great seeing you again Frank and meeting the family. Wow, what a fantastic festival. Really really amazing! Hotter than hell until the evening but phenominal none the less. I've already had the chance to see what are undoubtable some of the best ukulele players in the world including some folks from Japan, Thailand and Korea that most of you guys may have never heard of. Kimo was awesome, he is like everybody's loving father. Taimane Gardner is so impressive in person, a real performer. Singto Numchok is the epidome of the easy going Thai musician and makes playing uke look so easy. Kyas Ryo from Japan is so happy to be playing for people it makes your heart swell. Bruce Shimabukuru deserves as much renown as his brother, he played a song called "I Do" that he wrote for Jake's wedding that had me choked up, it was so lovely. And so much more including Miss Thailand (hubba hubba) who is a really good musician and uke lover. I'm leaving out alot, it is truly overwhelming at times and that was just the first day. And can't forget mentioning the hundreds and hundreds of young Thai people that came for the show, just crazy for anything ukulele. Did I mention it's all free! I truely feel indebted to Asada and Ribbon from Ribbee Boutique for an unforgettable experience, well worth flying literally half way around the world for. I'm trying to get some video footage to post when I get back. Time to go!

I'm glad you got so see some of the performances Mike.

I know there will be videos posted in the future so I look forward to watching them.

Jdf0hr.jpg
VZ1fOh.jpg

I'm so JEALOUS! Spent many happy times in Thailand with my late husband. (Worked there for a bit.) It's an amazing country. A uke fest would be heavely. I hope y'all have a great time.

God, I'm exhausted. The fest just ended. Absolutley fantastic. Aldrine was awesome of course, as was everyone and everything else. I know it's unrealistic for some folks in these poor economic times, but if any of you guys can save some cash for a trip to next years Thailand Ukulele Festival it will be something you never forget. It is really in a catagory unto itself and can't be compared to any other ukulele festival that I've ever attended.

God, I'm exhausted. The fest just ended. Absolutley fantastic. Aldrine was awesome of course, as was everyone and everything else. I know it's unrealistic for some folks in these poor economic times, but if any of you guys can save some cash for a trip to next years Thailand Ukulele Festival it will be something you never forget. It is really in a catagory unto itself and can't be compared to any other ukulele festival that I've ever attended.

That's one thing I hear about this uke fest.. That they do it the way it's supposed to be done.

Wow, stuff is already being downloaded from a few hours ago. Go to Youtube and search (Thailand Ukulele Festival 2012, this week)

Its these type of pictures and videos from last year that made me not even use my camera this year. I'm heading off to youtube to see the uploads.
Hoosier, if you are still in town and you want to play some uke and drink some coffee, send me a pm.

Its these type of pictures and videos from last year that made me not even use my camera this year. I'm heading off to youtube to see the uploads.
Hoosier, if you are still in town and you want to play some uke and drink some coffee, send me a pm.

Gotta see the in-laws and such, but will be back in Krungthep in a few days, we should definitley get together, maybe at Ribbees. We were looking for you yesterday.

Gotta see the in-laws and such, but will be back in Krungthep in a few days, we should definitley get together, maybe at Ribbees. We were looking for you yesterday.

Ok, let's do it. Let's play some. at Ribbees - but first, let's get some java. I leave Saturday am so we need to do it beforehand.

Yesterday, our little boy got hot and dehydrated before we could try to get to the fest; so we made it a family day instead. I have to admit that I love my son more than ukuleles; so, I didn't feel like I missed out even though I did miss out as I like the fest and its atmosphere. I'll be back next year and hopefully the son will be walking by then.

So for those who were there, what was the best/most interesting/ most exciting/ most fun to watch set during the fest?

Top Bottom