"Somebody Stole My Gal"

H

Hippie Dribble

1918. Leo Wood.

another classic song from the great jazz era and ye olden golden days of ukedom.

This one has been recorded by some amazing artists over the years, including Cab Calloway, Fats Waller, Count Basie and Benny Goodman, and, more laterly by Ian Whitcomb, as well as being a live staple of the Jim Kweskin Jug Band. It has also been featured in the scores to a number of films.

I always loved this tune, and, hearing it, felt it would be a pretty easy one to get on top of. Turned out it is much more complex than that...when I scratched the surface I found a number of fast, subtle chord changes in the melody, and by the time I added my own fills and twists, it was a real workout for the left hand.

I recorded it in Fiona's studio this morning, and played a Black Bear macadamia concert uke. Man it's been hot here today...37 celsius..I'm thankful to have got it on the 3rd take as - suited up in hat and tie - the sweat was starting to drip of my nose...he he

If anyone would like a chord transcription just send me a message and I'll email it to you. Thanks for watching folks!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kIMDmEXk8Mo

:)

Thanks Eugene! Another great classic that you make sound so good on the ukulele.

That BB macadamia concert sounded great,too, a bit brighter than a BB concert, but just perfect for your arrangement.

Where do you find all of these great songs?

Another great shot at an old tune, thanks for posting it...and Dwayne's uke- that is the dogs bollocks innit? Thing is a tone monster!

would really like a chord transcription of the song please Jon, PM sent, fantastic video yet again, i really enjoy listening to your playing thanx for takin the time

thanks you guys.

Doc, I liken the sound of the macadamia wood to mango...very similar rounded tones, warm but with a nice brightness as well.

Richard, I'll scan the music for you today mate and send it your way. :)

Whoa - Really fine performance, Jon. What I love about your takes is that you always do something unexpected. I'm really enjoying this one - the melody style playing is stellar, and your chord choices are really cool. Chords please; I gotta see what you're doing with your left hand!! I'll PM you.

Cheers, brother!

J

the suit outfit looks great! as well as the performance itself!

there was a ton of movement in the uke arrangement but it never got ahead of the vocal melody which is extremely hard to pull off when strumming that much in a song. it really shows how much control you have on the right hand! great song, always look forward to watching your videos!

Another top tune by you Eugine and love watching your performances, you are certainly some to aspire to, i to would love the music, dont know if i will be able to play it but would love to give it ago.
AHHHHH 37 degrees thats hot for tassie, i miss the warmth of the aussie sun, it is mild here in grey old UK upto 13 degrees today nice and mild for this time of year.
We played a load of the old songs at a nursing home last night and then went for a quick pint and ended up doing a impromptu gig at the pub, was good fun, got another gig at a old folks club wednesday and then at the ukes for unicef fest on saturday, anyway sorry to bore you lol, look forward to seing more of your vids all the best :)

Aloha Bruddah Eugene,
Wow another one I missed...darn...loved it mate..keep them coming yes you make that black bear sing......woo hooo Happy Strummings..

Last edited:
More of your great energy. The solo in the middle was fabulous. Thanks.

Top Bottom