How do you like those Willie Wixom Ukes?

patfia

Reaction score
Haven't seen anything since the flurry of activity earlier this month about Willie Wixom's ukes. How do you like them now that you've had some playing time? Do you think they compare favorably with the K's or the other relatively affordable customs like Donaldson and MP? Thank you.

Can't answer your question...yet. I have a Willie Wixom koa tenor on order (slated for a June completion date) as well as a Donaldson koa tenor on order (slated for a November completion date). I'm sure others will chime in before I get either of mine but I'll do a comparison video once I get them.

My Wixom koa tenor (#106, the third ukulele from the right (with the sapwood stripe on the soundboard) in the photo) got here a few weeks ago and I've been meaning to start a "new uke day" thread and post a mini-review, but I've been swamped at my job. The short answer is that it sounds great and is fun to play. It's a little quieter than my Kamaka tenor but it's an upgrade from my Big Island Honu Traditional tenor. With the exception of a little (and barely noticable) glob of glue or something like it where the headstock meets the nut, it's very well crafted and feels solid. (There's also a very small ding on the body near the neck, but I think that it's a post-production ding -- the ukulele had been sent of to a local shop on consignment before I bought it.) For what I paid ($475), I think it's a great value. I'm happy with it. I still hope to post a review with photos and possibly a sound sample, but I'm having a little trouble finding the time for it right now.

Just to clarify -- the photo is not my collection of ukes. (I wish!) It's from Willie Wixom's website, and it shows a number of the ukes he has buit and had for sale at one time.

attachment.php

Attachments

• Wixom ukuleles 01.jpg
    Wixom ukuleles 01.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 12
  • wixom ukes 02.jpg
    wixom ukes 02.jpg
    63.3 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
My Wixom koa tenor (#106, the third ukulele from the right (with the sapwood stripe on the soundboard) in the photo) got here a few weeks ago and I've been meaning to start a "new uke day" thread and post a mini-review, but I've been swamped at my job. The short answer is that it sounds great and is fun to play. It's a little quieter than my Kamaka tenor but it's an upgrade from my Big Island Honu Traditional tenor. With the exception of a little (and barely noticable) glob of glue or something like it where the headstock meets the nut, it's very well crafted and feels solid. (There's also a very small ding on the body near the nexk, but I think that it's a post-production ding -- the ukulele had been sent of to a local shop on consignment before I bought it.) For what I paid ($475), I think it's a great value. I'm happy with it. I still hope to post a review with photos and possibly a sound sample, but I'm having a little trouble finding the time for it right now.

attachment.php

Wow Mark...you get that many tenors already..you been busy eh..he he

Can't answer your question...yet. I have a Willie Wixom koa tenor on order (slated for a June completion date) as well as a Donaldson koa tenor on order (slated for a November completion date). I'm sure others will chime in before I get either of mine but I'll do a comparison video once I get them.

Lol. I bet you were incredibly happy when you found out you can have another custom ukulele at a really affordable. I've seen your videos and me jealous. If you don't want any of them just send it my way and I'll be happy to take it :)

Aloha,
My custom order is scheduled for April, but I did inspect and play all that Willie had there. For the price of a custom built uke......no brainer, I ordered a tenor. Could have bought one that was available but wanted something built exclusively for me. I have no doubt that it will be all that I imagined and then some. Anxiously waiting for mine and I suppose others are also.
Next up will be a Wixom Concert. Oh, I'm still jumping on good deals as I see them.....need to control myself...........................BO.........................

I ordered a Koa Concert from Willie. I expect it sometime in June. It is my 1st custom made, so I'm excited about it, and I'm ready, I deserve it!

Just out of curiosity, how many people are expecting uke's from Willie? I just made an enquiry recently and he said he could finish a custom one for me in April which I find strange if some people have been told they will be waiting till June?

Just out of curiosity, how many people are expecting uke's from Willie? I just made an enquiry recently and he said he could finish a custom one for me in April which I find strange if some people have been told they will be waiting till June?
Why not just ask Willie? I told him when I placed my order that I was in no rush and he could put anyone who needed a uke sooner ahead of me on the list. There was a thread recently that made it sound like someone cancelled an order, so maybe he put you in that vacated slot? [Edit: Ronnie beat me by a couple of minutes. :)]

The one time I talked with Willie, he indicated that a pace of 1 or 2 ukes per month would be ideal for him. I know a few of the people who are definitely on his build list, so my guess is the current total is 6-8 uke builds.

I told him when I placed my order that I was in no rush and he could put anyone who needed a uke sooner ahead of me on the list.

Told him the same thing. Said I was in no rush...told him a June or July completion date would be fine with me.

Top Bottom