New Uke Decisions - Check out my wood! ;)

Nice grain on that. Wow!

Oh my....please be sure to post pictures when that beauty arrives. Congrats and hope you have many, many years with her (him)! ;)

I love that wood! It will be a great uke!
and I will add: THANK YOU! for taking one of the sets of the "Homecoming Queen" myrtle...narrowed my decision making down! :)

Yup, thoise "Homecoming Queen" sets were beautiful. I'm glad you got one of them! Picking the wood for my MM ukes made the wait for the build date to start a little easier, but it does elevate the level of anticipation. On the other hand, May will be here before you know it.

As MDS said, now the anticipation.
The Myrtle makes a great instrument, I just got #615.
The woods from Char's body shop are extra special, you not only get a great sounding/playing ukulele, but one that is unique in looks.
There may be some very close, but none exactly like yours.

Thanks all. I'm struggling with some of the cosmetic decisions...but in a good way. The hardest decision has been choosing the binding. Part of me wants to go for the red - but I fear I may regret it down the road. I'm going with a very conservative look and trying to make the wood be the focal point. No rosette...and no abalone anywhere....

Congrats on the Mya Moe...yes keep it simple...I got a Koa soprano and it is the best way to go..light or dark binding, that is the question...

Thanks all. I'm struggling with some of the cosmetic decisions...but in a good way. The hardest decision has been choosing the binding. Part of me wants to go for the red - but I fear I may regret it down the road. I'm going with a very conservative look and trying to make the wood be the focal point. No rosette...and no abalone anywhere....

I had a similar decision with my baritone (#669), which is using what Char calls "banana split" myrtle because of its range from yellow hues to dark hues. I thought about bloodwood for the binding, but I wanted something that focused more on one of the grain hues in the wood, and Char suggested walnut. One thing I did that was helpful: I went to the gallery page (under "instruments"), where you can select which ukuleles to see by wood type. Then I looked at different bindings to see what looked best to me. Walnut seemed more understated for my wood than bloodwood did. Good luck with your decisions, and definitiely ask Char for her opinion. She has a good eye for this sort of thing.

At first I was leaning toward dark...but after viewing the gallery a zillion times...I'm starting to think the lighter bindings look very elegant.

Last edited:
I had a similar decision with my baritone (#669), which is using what Char calls "banana split" myrtle because of its range from yellow hues to dark hues. I thought about bloodwood for the binding, but I wanted something that focused more on one of the grain hues in the wood, and Char suggested walnut. One thing I did that was helpful: I went to the gallery page (under "instruments"), where you can select which ukuleles to see by wood type. Then I looked at different bindings to see what looked best to me. Walnut seemed more understated for my wood than bloodwood did. Good luck with your decisions, and definitiely ask Char for her opinion. She has a good eye for this sort of thing.

Just checked yours out. :)

My configuration is set to Walnut right now too....but all of a sudden Maple looks interesting.

That is one gorgeous piece of wood!

As MDS said, now the anticipation.
The Myrtle makes a great instrument, I just got #615.
The woods from Char's body shop are extra special, you not only get a great sounding/playing ukulele, but one that is unique in looks.
There may be some very close, but none exactly like yours.

Wow...very nice...Have any of your own pictures?

If you need me to try it out for you before you get it you can have them send it to my house first. I'll try it out for a few months and then I'll send it along to you. We wouldn't want you to get a substandard ukulele or anything. I will do this service free of charge :)

All joking aside the wood looks AWESOME! I can't wait til you get it and post a sound sample for all of us!

gorgeous. Resembles some high grade banded agate I have in my lapidary shop.

If I remember correctly, mya moe posted that myrtle a month or so ago as part of a new batch. If that's the case, you chose my favorite. Any chance I could live vicariously through you for a while... or ever?

Congrats, seriously, it's going to be a beauty.

Top Bottom