"Lazing on a Sunday Afternoon" (Queen Cover)

droo

Reaction score
Hey UU'ers, it's my first try at making a video. It's for a contest to win an amp from Celestion speakers, and a really good excuse to use my homemade Brian May - style uke.

WOW. Winner!

I've wondered how this would work on ukulele. The "Red Special" uke looks awesome! Brian May is probably in my top three or four favorite guitarists of all time.

excellent job droo, always loved this song, and i have to agree Brian May was the best guitarist of his generation, this song comes from the 'night at the opera' album by Queen it was the first album i ever bought and always brings back memories of a time in my life that was good thanx droo

man, this is GOOD. Really good. Awesome work droo! Good luck in the contest mate. :)

I forgot to say, your uke is awesome (the electric.) Is that the one you made? Love to hear more about it. And isn't it amazing--certain music over the years has held up--which is my criterion for if "popular" music has merit. For example, the Beatles were big when I was a lass in elementary school. And we're still singing and playing their songs. They have that deceptive simplicity, and all the charm of music hall popular songs from the turn of the 20th Century. And Queen; their style was wide, from rock all the way back to yes, music hall and their musicianship was fantastic. I still miss Freddie Mercury. And I grew up not liking rock or pop music,having been classically trained. But when something is GOOD, like your rendition of Lazing, it's good and it lasts.

excellent job droo, always loved this song, and i have to agree Brian May was the best guitarist of his generation, this song comes from the 'night at the opera' album by Queen it was the first album i ever bought and always brings back memories of a time in my life that was good thanx droo

It wasn't my first album, but I have really fond memories of driving around with my guitarist and drummer friends in my mom's MGB, blaring "A Night At The Opera". We did the "Wayne's World" "Bohemian Rhapsody"-singalong thing years before the movie came out.
Interestingly, my FATHER turned me on to Queen in '76 or so. We lived about 40 miles north of Houston, and my dad worked in Houston for an oil-drilling company at the time. One day he came home and said "I heard the weirdest, but coolest song on the radio when I was driving home today... it was really long and had this opera thing in the middle". Now, in 1976, my father was only 33, and he listened to all sorts of music that he got me into later on (everything from Simon and Garfunkel to Jethro Tull). A week or two later, we were driving somewhere and "Bohemian Rhapsody" came on and he said "THAT'S the song I was telling you about!". Not long after that, Queen played in Houston. I was too young to go, but some friends of my parents had a high-school aged daughter that went, and I was (and still am to this day) extremely envious of her. I never got to see them. I just got a great documentary DVD about them though, which I highly recommend to anyone who's a Queen fan. "Queen: Days of Our Lives". I think it was a British TV thing originally. At least, I know the DVD was released EVERYWHERE in the world several months before it was released in the U.S. It's got a lot of archival footage of very early Queen, and even a little bit of Smile (Brian May and Roger Taylor's pre-Queen band). Freddie Mercury was not only a great singer, but an amazingly charismatic front-man. I've also always thought that, had he not been in a band where Freddie Mercury was the lead singer, Roger Taylor could have been remembered as one of the great rock singers. He has a fantastic voice too, and actually sang most of the REALLY high stuff (like the "Galileo" in Bohemian Rhapsody"). And as a bass player, John Deacon blows me away. I can understand, but I wish he hadn't chosen to retire from music after Freddie's death. His upper register stuff on things like "Millionaire Waltz" and "March of the Black Queen" is absolutely stunning.

they are playing knebworth again, it has been anounced on the radio, with some bloke from american idol singing.
The Who have always been my fave band,till i discovered Eels. But i grew up listening to queen, amongst other stuff, i have always had a diverse and strange taste in music, if it sounds good to my ear i like it, i dont care about genre, so i go from a bit of classic, motown,punk,crooners,thrash,electronic,tin pan alley, hip hop,etc etc :)

I think music is one of the greatest gifts we have eveyone should enjoy it no matter what they like :)

I hope you will update us on how you do in the contest. I think you did a splendid job. I just LOVE the special effects on the video to give the vintage look. I'm really impressed and of course the music was wonderful. Thanks for sharing it, as I truly enjoy it and have replayed it a number of times.

BTW, I watched quite a few of the other contest entries. Based on what I saw, you blew the others away! Every other video I saw was just someone playing a guitar lead (or just PART of one) over a faintly heard backing track. Granted, several of them totally nailed Brian May's tone and style, but I didn't see an ounce of imagination or creativity in any of them.

Top Bottom