Battle Scars

whit

Reaction score
Was changing the strings on my Pono when one decided to pop, leaving a small dent below the bridge. Hardly noticeable, unless your eyes are constantly pulled to the blemish. Is there something that can be done to fill it in somewhat, or do I just bite my lip and get on with it?

Thanks

I suppose there are two points of view on dings and dents. Are you a player or a collector? If you're a collector just keep your uke in it's case and every so often have a look at it. That way it will remain mint and undamaged.

If you are a player, then you gradually have to accept that as your instruments have a life they are not going to remain pristine. And so what? Does a little dink here and there matter? In my opinion not in the slightest, they show that an instrument is played and loved. My expensive (to me) hand made Fylde guitar has loads of dings but it is played regularly and loved. Is it as pretty as when it was brand new and unblemished? In some people's eyes probably not but in mine they are part of the guitar's character and soul. I've seen a high end Martin guitar with the sound board worn right through creating a hole in the top. Did it sound any worse? No. Did the owner still play and love it? Yes.

Do I like deliberately distressed instruments that are made to look like they've had a life? No. Do I like real, aged instruments complete with dings and scratches that can tell a story? Oh yes, I love 'em!

My advice is leave your Pono as it is. Look on it as a right of passage rather than a blemish. If your partner had a scar would you love them any less? Of course not. So what, your uke has a ding; carry on and enjoy it. And guess what? If you play it regularly over the years, not only will it sound better but it will more than likely gather more dings and scratches and you'll still enjoy owning and playing it.

steelarts is right no matter how well you look after your instrument if you play it eventually its going to get scratched, dented or dinked, i have a fluke tenor and it comes camping and hiking with me, never got a scratch, a couple of weeks ago whilst practicing in my nice soft bedroom, i dropped my cell phone onto the soundboard and then it bounced to another part of the soundboard, 2 nice deep dents, the day after that i dropped my tuner onto the soundboard as well 3 nice dents, does it affect its playability, definitely not!!! Don't worry about a few scratches or dents they are inevitable and makes your uke look 'MEAN' :cool:

I'm no luthier but I do build fine furniture. A trick we use in case of an accidental ding is to steam it out. Put a small piece of wet cloth over the ding then touch it with the tip of a clothes iron for a few seconds. The steam generated will re-swell the crushed wood fibers.

Or, as other have said, wear it with pride.

Thank you all. I knew when I brought this instrument home that I would be playing it. Dings will just be a natural consequence of that. Like that first scratch on your new car, it takes a little getting used to.

Now to let these strings stretch out a bit.

Top Bottom