30/40's Favilla Soprano Mahogany uke

garyg

Reaction score
I have always been interested in antiques, so when I started playing the uke about 8 months ago I became interested in vintage ukes. There were no stores in my area that carried these ukes so I bought a number off ebay to try several of each brand and now find myself with more ukes than I really need (yes there is such a thing). So I've been listing a few including a Gretsch and now a Favilla U2. This uke has a wonderfully rich and resonant tone that is typical of the better vintage mahogany ukes from the 30's/40's. Here is a video of the uke http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MFmRiPdGUHM . It does have some dings and finish wear typical of an old instrument that has been played. There is tarnish on some frets and tuner screws that can easily be removed with XXXX steel wool and the low portion of the fretboard show finish wear as does portions of the soundboard. I can take some still pictures if you're seriously interested. According to Tom Favilla 80% of the U2 ukes with black tuner buttons were made before 1945 and that's how I've dated this uke. Price is $235 plus ~$25 shipping/insurance. I'd be glad to answer any questions that you have. Nothing is wrong with this uke, I just have two others and have decided that someone could be enjoying this one regularly rather than have it spend most of its time in my closet, cheers, g2

Nice uke. I have a Favilla concert, and a Favilla parlor guitar, and they're both great instruments.
Just wanted to point out that the pronunciation of the name (according to Tom F) is Fa-VIL-ah.
Here's it is from Tom himself, as posted on the FMM Uke Yak many years ago:
"Hi Chuck, Easy answer on the Favilla name. It is pronounced, Fa-VIL-ah, by the family. Hope all goes well in the uke world. Tom (Fa-VIL-ah) "

Good luck with the sale!

Thanks Ernie, I wondered how the name was pronounced so I wrote Tom Favilla on Feb 12 2012 and here's his exact response "It is pronounced Fa villa. accent on the first sylable[sic]" . Not sure how to reconcile the differences but their instruments sound great regardless of how the name is pronounced <g>. cheers, g2

You say Tomato, I say tomatoe.
I have this very same Favilla and one from the 50'/60's era as well. Have you tried Clear Martin Flourocarbons Strings on yours ? They make mine sing so much sweeter !!!!

Last edited:
I've tried Martin flouro strings but like Fremont Blacklines, or Orcas better and I even like Worth browns better <g>.

I haven't tried Fremont Blacklines, or Orcas. I'll have to give them a try.
I like the sound of Gretsch, you're selling.

Thanks Ernie, I wondered how the name was pronounced so I wrote Tom Favilla on Feb 12 2012 and here's his exact response "It is pronounced Fa villa. accent on the first sylable[sic]" . Not sure how to reconcile the differences but their instruments sound great regardless of how the name is pronounced <g>. cheers, g2

Well, if that don't beat all!
Just when you start to think you know somethin'...

Well, if that don't beat all!
Just when you start to think you know somethin'...

@Ernie It is pretty amusing and now I don't really know what to think, so I'll just focus on how good Favilla ukes sound. cheers, g2

Like Tumeric vs Turmeric

No one interested, I'll drop the price to $210. cheers, g2

Still there ?

G'day there Gary,
Is the Ukulele still for sale ?
P.S. I'm having difficulties navigating this site so i hope you get this..

Hi Charlie, thanks for your interest, sent you a PM with the details, cheers, g2

Top Bottom