Strings for fingerpicking

Gipserio

Reaction score
Hi everyone! It's been a long time since I last posted, too much work!

My ukulele playing has definitely gone down the fingerpicking path, mainly because of my admiration for the work of the late John King and the compositions of Ernest Ka'ai; my two all time heroes.

My question is, can anyone recommend a specific brand of strings for fingerpicking? obviously I'm out for clarity, projection and resonance... and of course comfort, I find the feel of some more rough strings very offputting.

I have used on my Loprinzi soprano Aquila Nylguts and Labella Senoritas, and preferred the latter. What should I try next?

Savarez Alliance strings 540 series are actually classical guitar strings that sound great on a ukulele. You can buy them at Strings by mail.

Thank you dkcrown. I had no idea you could use guitar strings on ukes! It's that simple? This opens up a whole new array of possibilities!

You may also want to try Worth or Martin fluorocarbon strings, nice and smooth. D'Addario Pro Arte strings are another classical guitar string that are often used on ukes, and they are available through the UU store packaged for ukes.

I just put on a set of Southcoast strings on my Soprano. Made a world of difference!

My least favorite for fingerpicking is Nylgut, my current favorite is Fremont Blacklines or Worth Brown mediums.

Thank you all; yes, I find Nylgut too coarse for fingerpicking, that's why I was quite pleased with the LaBella Senoritas, though I'm sure there's much more decent stuff out there.

For picking, nothing has beaten Southcoast---even tension and smooth on the fingertips with great separation, volume, and sustain---for me.

Another user for Southcoast.:eek:

Hate to get repetitive- put Southcoasts on the last uke in the house not to have them, my wife's Soprano, and man do they sing. Sounds better than anything that had been on it, and fingerpicking is BLISS. Now on my Baritone, Two tenors, and two sopranos without a hitch (they do squeak a little when they are brand new)

Hi TCK,
can you use mediums on a 14inch scale soprano?

Hate to get repetitive- put Southcoasts on the last uke in the house not to have them, my wife's Soprano, and man do they sing. Sounds better than anything that had been on it, and fingerpicking is BLISS. Now on my Baritone, Two tenors, and two sopranos without a hitch (they do squeak a little when they are brand new)

Top Bottom