Who makes a wide nut ukulele

stevepetergal

Reaction score
I'm looking for an ukulele with a nut width of 1 1/2". I intend to buy one to try before ordering a luthier built instrument with this option. Anyone know a manufacturer who offers this?

If you want something with a smaller price tag for your stated purpose the Lanikai LQA-C, solid spruce top, laminated quilted ash back and sides, for about $249.00 has a nut width of 37 mm or 1.46 inches.

Oscar Schmidt OU6W is a little wider than that at 1 3/4. Small price tag as well.

My Islander MSC-4 is 1 1/2. String spacing is 1 3/16. If I ever make a new nut for this I'll stretch the spacing by a 16th as the nut and fingerboard could take it.

I'm looking for an ukulele with a nut width of 1 1/2". I intend to buy one to try before ordering a luthier built instrument with this option. Anyone know a manufacturer who offers this?
THe Koaloha tenor is almost at 1.5; I have an older Kelii tenor with 1.6 but the current ones seem to have a narrower nut width.

The Lanikai monkeypod and zebrawood tenors have 1.5

That's true for the Mya-Moe six-string. The width of the nut on Mya-Moe's tradition or classic four-strings is 1-3/8 inches.

Yes, Mya-Moe offers the 1 1/2' nut width as an option. It's a Mya-Moe I plan to have built. But I want to know if I will like the wider nut before I place the order. That's why I'm looking for an inexpensive one to try out first. I'd like to see if it's too big a change for me. My current Mya-Moe has their conventional width of 1 3/8".

I tried the Oscar Schmidt 0U6W. It has a 1 3/4" nut. It's like a guitar!! Way too much for me, I don't have big hands, and I've never played a guitar. But a terrific instrument for some, I'm quite sure. So, if someone reading this thread is looking for that much extra width, I highly recommend it.

Check out the Akulele.

I've found the Meles to have a bit wider nut.

keep uke'in',

Hey Steve. Kanilea's have a nut width of 1 1/2".

I second this one,......my Kanile'a soprano has the 1 1/2 " nut width, and i made a new nut to slightly increase the spacing (1/16" or so) to take full advantage of the extra width. The neck also is "beefier" in hand than most any soprano i have tried,.....especially compared to vintage ukes like Martins. The Martins seem to swim in my fretting hand,....being so thin in the neck area. The wider neck, especially on a soprano, allows the fretting fingers to open up a bit more and not feel so cramped in a tight area.

The difference equates out to a soprano that's almost as easy to play as a concert. I have medium sized hands, btw, and any custom ukulele i have made will come with a 1 1/2" nut width. I suspect you'll like it too.

Top Bottom