PDA

View Full Version : Help finding a Student Violin

peewee
02-27-2012, 07:20 AM
Hi

Looking to buy a violin so I can follow along at my daughter's Suzuki lessons, and co-practice with her.
There are plenty available on CL, but I don't have any clue what to look for, or look out for. Brands, common pitfalls, etc..
Any advice on finding a playable starter instrument, in 4/4 (adult) size? Hoping to spend $150 or so.

thanks,
peewee

Bob Bledsoe
02-27-2012, 07:46 AM
I can't help with what to look for in a violin, but I know Mccabe's Guitar Shop in Santa Monica has tons of them. Might be a good place to go and mess around with a few.

peewee
02-27-2012, 10:19 AM
Hi Bob, thanks. Last time I was there all I saw were spendy vintage fiddles. But I wasn't really looking. I'll dig a little deeper.

janeray1940
02-27-2012, 10:23 AM
Call or stop by McCabe's on a Sunday when Laura is behind the counter - she's been teaching violin there forever so I'm guessing she might be able to point you in the right direction, or maybe know of a student looking to upgrade who might sell you their entry-level violin.

Ezy
02-27-2012, 10:24 AM
On Musician's Friend I believe they have lower price student violins for sale. A couple of them have really good reviews.

Bob Bledsoe
02-27-2012, 10:28 AM
Hi Bob, thanks. Last time I was there all I saw were spendy vintage fiddles. But I wasn't really looking. I'll dig a little deeper.

Yeah, I was just there the other day and they had a bunch of new ones hanging at the end of the hallway with the ukes. I didn't look at price on them though.

Ukulele JJ
02-27-2012, 01:23 PM
Shar (sharmusic.com) has some "starter" violins at several price points. Might be worth checking out.

But maybe the best bet is to rent a violin for a few months first. See how it works out. Any music store that sells violins and teaches Suzuki is likely to rent them too.

JJ

itsme
02-27-2012, 03:02 PM
You might try Stein On Vine in Hollywood.

http://www.steinonvine.com/

"One of Hollywood's best-kept-secrets is their inventory of violins, ranging from affordable Chinese to priceless, high-quality new and vintage European instruments for Jazz and Classical players."

If you want to order online, I'd give a big thumbs up to Southwest Strings in Tucson. They're a real B&M store specializing in the violin family. I bought my Guitalele from them recently. Excellent customer service, free (fast) shipping and they do set-ups on everything they sell. I'd trust them on a cheaper instrument over one of the "big box" stores.

http://www.swstrings.com/

peewee
02-27-2012, 05:04 PM
Thanks for the suggestions, good stuff. I'll try to find a dinged up rental survivor to buy. I will be so much more annoying with a violin!