Tuning Peg Options?

the.ronin

Reaction score
I was hoping to spruce up some of my ukes starting with the tuning pegs on my “Nice” concern (Ed Bacani). Right now I think I’ve got some Grovers on there. Choices are pretty slim I’m finding out. I did come across this archived post from “hooiserhiver” showing some pretty nice looking koa pegs that Mainland once sold. They no longer do it seems.

I know there are some side tuner options out there but this particular uke seems to lend itself well aesthetically to pegs.

I’d even consider just replacing the buttons if there is a custom button maker out there that uses woods like koa, ebony, or snakewood.

You can have the look of a peg and the benefits of a geared tuner with PEGHEDS.
www.PEGHEDS.net . The 743AF is 51mm from end to end. We can make buttons from whatever kind of wood you provide. Currently the choices are ebony, boxwood or rosewood.

You can have the look of a peg and the benefits of a geared tuner with PEGHEDS.
www.PEGHEDS.net . The 743AF is 51mm from end to end. We can make buttons from whatever kind of wood you provide. Currently the choices are ebony, boxwood or rosewood.
Thanks TheCraftedCow. I was looking at your site for a while yesterday. I'm accustomed to more the Grover style tuning pegs. Do yours work pretty much the same way? Also for clarification, you can put ebony, boxwood or rosewood buttons on them OR any appropriate wood the customer can provide? I ask because I don't actually keep spare exotic wood.

Also I did get an email back from Mainland Ukes and it turns out they do still have the tuner pegs with koa buttons. I guess they just don't have them on their website.

[edit] Just came across a link to en eBay store called Taisamlu Musical which has a pretty big variety of various tuners including friction tuners with various woods such as koa and ebony. I'm wondering about the quality of these tuners though. Has anyone bought from these guys before? I tried emailing but all I get is a message saying that they get too much email lol.

Last edited:
I have bought many things from Sam Lu from Taiwan =Taisamlu. The tuners, both friction and geared were all very nice, and very reasonably priced.

Any hardwood that someone wants on a set of PEGHEDS can happen. Send us the wood. They cannot be the 3/4 violin size <19mm> x 17^v...they will be <22> X 20^v

I have bought many things from Sam Lu from Taiwan =Taisamlu. The tuners, both friction and geared were all very nice, and very reasonably priced.
Thanks for the feedback. I decided to give him a try and picked up 2 sets one koa and the other cocobolo.

09113020.JPG

BT51cocobolo.JPG

Theyre going to replace some gotohs on an Ed Bacani concert and not sure what are on the Ohana spruce top soprano I've got.

Last edited:
Top Bottom