Need Advice: Uke Pickups and Amps

Pinoyicious

Reaction score
Hey UUer's, I plan on buying an amp and pickup for my Vineyard CK-Z-88 Ukulele. I don't know what would to buy and was wondering if any of you guys had any advice on what to get. If the pickup is too expensive I might end up buying a Eleuke/ Acoustic Electric ukulele instead, but please let me know what you guys recommend. Thanks

I have $100 budget on both, I know on Craigslist i can get an amp for under $50, but I'm not sure what WATT/ Brand is good. Also for the pickup, how would i add a pickup/ which should I buy if I don't want to drill a hole in my ukulele. Thanks

Here’s the pickup for under $10 bucks:

http://www.ukuleleunderground.com/f...0-Electrify-your-uke-for-under-10-bucks/page2

You can use the double stick tape to mount it to the top of your ukulele if you do not want to drill a hole.

…and here’s the best amp/P.A. available for under $100 bucks:

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/pro-audio/kustom-pw50-personal-pa-system

Super-portable and convenient PA system that will go where you go, and keep you sounding great.

The PW50 PA System from Kustom combines quality performance and convenient features, all in a highly portable package. You’ll find that the PW50 works well in a variety of environments, amplifying vocals, instruments, keyboards, drum machines, audio devices, and more.

The two 4.5" speakers and high-frequency driver provide just the right combination of high and midrange sounds. This balance ensures your vocals cut through the mix while minimizing harsh and unwanted frequencies. The PW50 Construction is based on the same tried-and-true techniques as the rest of our speaker line. This includes a heavy-duty steel grill and rigid corners. This model also utilizes a high-frequency driver for crisp, accurate reproduction of treble frequency and articulate speech.

For the soloist or acoustic duo, the PW50 works well when positioned on a standard speaker stand. As your following grows, so does your sound system; multiple units can be connected to increase the sound coverage in your venue of choice.

Features
Master Level Control
Twin 4.5" Drivers w/High-Frequency horn
Three Channel Mixer
Two Instrument / Mic Channels
One Pre-Recorded Music Channel
Standard Speaker Stand-Mount Adaptor Built-in

Get this portable PA solution today, and you will be ready anytime anyplace

Output Power 1%: 100W – 4-ohm load
Accepted Inputs:
CH 1& 2 – mic XLR balanced, line level 1/4” un-balanced
CH 3 – 1=8” headphone/line level stereo, mixed mono
Frequency Response: 20Hz – 20kHz (actual response is tailored to speaker cabinet for accurate acoustical response.
Hum & Noise:
-56dB - residual noise, all level controls 0% (minimum)
-48dB – nominal system noise, all level controls at 50%
System Gain (@1kHz):
+70dB – Mic to speaker output (Ch. 1&2)
+56dB – Line to speaker output (Ch. 1&2)
+42dB – AUX in to speaker out
Channel EQ (high, low): 42kHz and above, 800Hz and below
SYNC (in and out): Both jacks accept a balances input and sends a pre-master volume output mix of channels. Recommended use: linking two PW100T’s together.
Subwoofer Out: Line out 20Hz-150Hz
Phantom Power: +15V mic inputs (Ch. 1&2)
Power Requirements: USA/Canada 120VAC/60Hz, 160W nominal
Speakers: Four 4-1/2” " 50W 4-ohm each
Horn: 3-1/2” Piezo driver
Power Capacity: 100W RMS
Frequency Response:
60Hz-20kHz (Full range / subwoofer jack not used)
150Hz-20kHz (Crossover active / ¼” mono plug in subwoofer jack)
Nominal Impedance: 4-ohms (not designed for external speakers)
Dimensions (WxHxD): 7-1/2” x 28 x 6-1/2”
Weight: 23.3 lb.

DV016_Jpg_Large_H74861_V.jpg

DV016_Jpg_Large_H74861_back.jpg

DV016_Jpg_Large_H74861_mount_detail.jpg

Both the XLR microphone inputs and the 1/4" instrument inputs can be used at the same time on channels 1 and 2 at the same time, along with an MP3 player or CD player on channel 3. The Kustom/Powerwerks PW50 is a serious professional amp/P.A. on the cheap. I own two of them. Ric

Ric,

I am going to picup a PW50 tonight. I may end up with two depending how lound one is. When you link two together do you just hook one xlr cable to the power link out/in and that gives you all six channels on both speakers? I want to use one of the Powerlink outs to run to a line in on my Zoom H2 and pick up all six channels.. I looked at the wiring diagram from the manual and that looks like it will work. What do you think? It also looks like you could hook a mixer up to either the Line (ch3) or one of the powerlinks (In).

I was going to recommend the Roland MicroCube but that Kustom looks awesome! The MicroCube might still be a good option if you are looking for a battery power option and/or want to play with some amp models and effects. Fender and Vox make similar amps too.

Ric,

I am going to picup a PW50 tonight. I may end up with two depending how lound one is. When you link two together do you just hook one xlr cable to the power link out/in and that gives you all six channels on both speakers? I want to use one of the Powerlink outs to run to a line in on my Zoom H2 and pick up all six channels.. I looked at the wiring diagram from the manual and that looks like it will work. What do you think? It also looks like you could hook a mixer up to either the Line (ch3) or one of the powerlinks (In).

Aloha e Jimmy.

I own two and everything comes out of both when linked with a single microphone cable. You can plug a mic and an instrument into both channels one and two - this means two mics and two instruments in addition to the third 1/8" channel. By now you probably already have one and are amazed at the performance versus price. The PW50's have built in phantom power for condensor mic's like the MXL990 (unheard of in an amp/P.A. under $100 bucks!). One PW50 is a 50 watt P.A.. Two PW50's a 100 watt P.A.. Three PW50's are a 150 watt P.A.. What this means to you is that every member of the band can carry their share of the P.A. system to a gig. The PW50 has put affordability of a professional P.A. system into the hands of most musicians. Ric

Aloha e Jimmy.

I own two and everything comes out of both when linked with a single microphone cable. You can plug a mic and an instrument into both channels one and two - this means two mics and two instruments in addition to the third 1/8" channel. By now you probably already have one and are amazed at the performance versus price. The PW50's have built in phantom power for condensor mic's like the MXL990 (unheard of in an amp/P.A. under $100 bucks!). One PW50 is a 50 watt P.A.. Two PW50's a 100 watt P.A.. Three PW50's are a 150 watt P.A.. What this means to you is that every member of the band can carry their share of the P.A. system to a gig. The PW50 has put affordability of a professional P.A. system into the hands of most musicians. Ric
Hi Ric! I just got back a couple of hours ago from Guitar Center. I had a 29 discount coupon on purchases over 129 so I bought 2. I paid total with tax and all 185.51 for both (92.75 ea!!). You were right they do sound great. This will be wonderful for playing small gigs and such. Nice and clear, not tinny sounding like some small speakers. Hardly anything to set up, YEAH!!!! I figured out how to wire my Zoom H2 to the Link out, just need to solder it up.

I use one on a speaker stand with two microphones to lead a uke group of 30 to 60 on Sunday evenings in San Clemente. The mics are turned up hot to pick up vocals and an instrument on each one. Here's the first one I bought (with a 10% off coupon - not as sweet a deal as yours, though):

KustomPA501.jpg

KustomPA502.jpg

KustomPA503.jpg

KustomPA504.jpg

Top Bottom