PDA

View Full Version : White label Kamaka ukulele question...

uke552
02-27-2012, 06:50 PM
I have two white label Kamaka sopranos and have done the research that Kamaka went to white label in 1969. I also read that a manufacture date is stamped on the uke (but don't know where). I have looked into the sound hole with a flashlight and all over the internal bracing but see nothing. Any help where this stamp might be?

RyanMFT
02-27-2012, 07:21 PM
If it has one, it would be stamped on the neck block. If you looked inside and didn't see it, yours likely doesn't have one. My white label is stamped there, but mine is toward the end of the white label era.

uke552
02-27-2012, 07:36 PM
Hey thanks! That's where I thought it would probably be.

laundromatt
02-27-2012, 07:44 PM
Anyone know when they started putting the date stamp there?

Gadzukes!
02-27-2012, 07:53 PM
I'm also curious, as I have a white label with no stamp.

mm stan
02-27-2012, 11:01 PM
Any pic's...we could help you date it..not sure where you read white labels had dates though..

uke552
02-29-2012, 12:49 PM
Hi Stan, I had read that Kamakas had a date stamp (not specific to white label) so I was wondering where that would be located. Did they stamp gold and white label ukes?

I will get some pictures posted too. My pineapple might be tough because at least two of the tuning pegs are replacements and not sure if the other two are original.

uke552
02-29-2012, 01:14 PM

Here is the pineapple (white label). She has been well played and is one of the best sounding uke's I have ever heard. I appears to me that all four of the tuning pegs have been replaced.

efiscella
02-29-2012, 01:52 PM
My 1979 Kamaka white label does not have a stamp. they were not stamping their ukes at that time. I purchased mine at the Kamaka Factory from Sam Kamaka Jr on August 28, 1979. I know all of that because of the receipt that I have kept, but there is nothing on/in the uke to show that.

guitarsnrotts
02-29-2012, 02:22 PM
I had bought a White Label soprano a year or so ago and had similiar questions. There was no date stamp or penciled date as some were said to have had. Mine also had black friction tuners which I had not seen on other ukuleles. I emailed Kamaka and received a call from a young woman from their customer service. After further explaining what I had, she said that dates were not always stamped or written in the interiors. She also indicated that the black tuners were used for a while in the early 70's and that from the shape of the fret board and other details mine was most likely from the mid-70s and that often times Sam would use whatever tuners he had readily available.

laundromatt
02-29-2012, 02:32 PM
Here is the pineapple (white label). She has been well played and is one of the best sounding uke's I have ever heard. I appears to me that all four of the tuning pegs have been replaced.

How can you tell if the pegs were replaced?

Looks a bit like mine, but the saddle (and nut) on mine is a dark wood.

uke552
02-29-2012, 03:59 PM
[QUOTE=laundromatt;882771]How can you tell if the pegs were replaced?

On the front or face of the headstock there is wear around the pegs suggesting to me a "wider" base rested against the wood at some point. Also two of the four are different styles (not sure that any of the four are original).

uke552
02-29-2012, 04:04 PM

Here is my other Kamaka. I am guessing this is somewhere close to late 1980's to 1991 due to the tuners. I think 1991 was the last year for the KK decal which mine has.

mm stan
02-29-2012, 08:11 PM
Hi Stan, I had read that Kamakas had a date stamp (not specific to white label) so I was wondering where that would be located. Did they stamp gold and white label ukes?

I will get some pictures posted too. My pineapple might be tough because at least two of the tuning pegs are replacements and not sure if the other two are original.

Aloha Uke552,
Only kamaka ukes I've seen dates on was their tiki model, or custom ukuleles white and gold labels...vintages may have some pencil marks in the soundhole backs...all other production
off the shelf ukes have none to me...we date them with what parts they have on...hope it helps...MM Stan

garyg
03-01-2012, 03:04 AM
Hey Stan, thanks for the great info, can you tell me anything about the age on this Kamaka beyond the general time period for that label? TIA, g2

mm stan
03-01-2012, 09:41 AM
Aloha Gary,
I'd say early 70's... Between 70-72....hope it helps....

laundromatt
03-02-2012, 12:39 PM
Hi Stan, any thoughts on when this is from? It's the second one listed in my signature. I'm guessing sometime in the 70s, since it has a white label?

Thanks! :)

mm stan
03-02-2012, 03:02 PM
Hi Stan, any thoughts on when this is from? It's the second one listed in my signature. I'm guessing sometime in the 70s, since it has a white label?

Thanks! :)

Aloha Laundromatt,
Are those the original tuners...seems they look new and the screws too
I'd say 1976-1980..intresting it has a short crown too. closer to 76 my guess would be..hope it helps.

laundromatt
03-02-2012, 08:36 PM
Thanks, Stan. Yeah, I'm not sure about the tuners - the person I bought the uke from didn't know for sure. They look new, but they also look like the ones i've seen on ukuleles from around that time.

Valleyisle
03-02-2012, 09:00 PM
I bought my uke when I was 10 yrs old (55 years ago) and it has a "gold" label, yet no stamping anywhere either. BTW, I paid $14 US for it. That was a lot of kala in those days.

mm stan
03-02-2012, 10:13 PM
Thanks, Stan. Yeah, I'm not sure about the tuners - the person I bought the uke from didn't know for sure. They look new, but they also look like the ones i've seen on ukuleles from around that time.

Kamaka sells vintage replacement tuners...whether they are correct , they look so...the flat crown is troubling me
though..
@valleyisle, yeah brah..plenty kala dem days...my gold label mid fifties had a pencil number inside..

Flyke
03-03-2012, 12:50 AM
Hey stan, have you seen replacement vintage Kamaka tuners in action? Are they a significant mprovement on an older set? Smoother? Easier to use?

The tuners are the one reservation I have about my white label kamaka. I'd appreciate your input if you (or anyone else) have any personal experience with them.

guitarsnrotts
03-03-2012, 04:46 AM
When I talked to Kamaka concerning my soprano, I had asked about getting replacement tuners. Mine, being a mid-70s with the black tuners, would require enlarging the holes for any of the replacement tuners they had. I wanted to try and avoid any drilling so I ended up buying a set of cheap 3rd party tuners. With a minor modification to the tuner bushings, these work great. I saved the original tuners in case I sold the uke and the purchaser wanted the originals.
The pictures show the old style original tuners that did not use bushings but a tapered shaft and the new tuners I installed that use the typical plastic bushings on the back and a collar on the shaft that tightens against a washer (my modification). Note: The pictures of the old tuners are of a similar Kamaka not mine.

mm stan
03-03-2012, 06:44 AM
Hey stan, have you seen replacement vintage Kamaka tuners in action? Are they a significant mprovement on an older set? Smoother? Easier to use?

The tuners are the one reservation I have about my white label kamaka. I'd appreciate your input if you (or anyone else) have any personal experience with them.

Aloha Flyke,
The original friction tuners on your kamaka are basically ones personal taste...they can be hard to use if you dont get used to them...generally not smooth at all...many like me want
to keep them period correct for original purposes.. upgrading them in some eyes devalues them..keep the original just in case you sell them...newer ones may need to be drilled or reamed
out to accomadate the new tuners..many would hesitate to do.
as for Guitarnrotts...You uke came with black tuners and that is rare, most all white labels had white tuners...who knows, they might have had a set around and wanted to use them up.
As for replacements on those, almost impossible as kamaka does not have those because they were hardly used and probally dont have replacements..as why you had been given the
set you had. I have a black tuner gold label that sounds so sweet...many have played it, and they say wow sweeet....but the tuners probally don't make it sweet..ha ha

Flyke
03-04-2012, 03:33 PM
Thanks for the input Stan, You da Man!

I think I'll persist with the original tuners.

Great to hear your input too guitarsnrots, thanks.

mm stan
07-10-2015, 10:04 PM
early 70s ....