White label Kamaka ukulele question...

uke552

Reaction score
I have two white label Kamaka sopranos and have done the research that Kamaka went to white label in 1969. I also read that a manufacture date is stamped on the uke (but don't know where). I have looked into the sound hole with a flashlight and all over the internal bracing but see nothing. Any help where this stamp might be?

If it has one, it would be stamped on the neck block. If you looked inside and didn't see it, yours likely doesn't have one. My white label is stamped there, but mine is toward the end of the white label era.

Anyone know when they started putting the date stamp there?

I'm also curious, as I have a white label with no stamp.

Any pic's...we could help you date it..not sure where you read white labels had dates though..

Hi Stan, I had read that Kamakas had a date stamp (not specific to white label) so I was wondering where that would be located. Did they stamp gold and white label ukes?

I will get some pictures posted too. My pineapple might be tough because at least two of the tuning pegs are replacements and not sure if the other two are original.

pinehead2.jpgpinehead1.jpgpinebody1.jpg

Here is the pineapple (white label). She has been well played and is one of the best sounding uke's I have ever heard. I appears to me that all four of the tuning pegs have been replaced.

My 1979 Kamaka white label does not have a stamp. they were not stamping their ukes at that time. I purchased mine at the Kamaka Factory from Sam Kamaka Jr on August 28, 1979. I know all of that because of the receipt that I have kept, but there is nothing on/in the uke to show that.

I had bought a White Label soprano a year or so ago and had similiar questions. There was no date stamp or penciled date as some were said to have had. Mine also had black friction tuners which I had not seen on other ukuleles. I emailed Kamaka and received a call from a young woman from their customer service. After further explaining what I had, she said that dates were not always stamped or written in the interiors. She also indicated that the black tuners were used for a while in the early 70's and that from the shape of the fret board and other details mine was most likely from the mid-70s and that often times Sam would use whatever tuners he had readily available.

Here is the pineapple (white label). She has been well played and is one of the best sounding uke's I have ever heard. I appears to me that all four of the tuning pegs have been replaced.

How can you tell if the pegs were replaced?

Looks a bit like mine, but the saddle (and nut) on mine is a dark wood.

How can you tell if the pegs were replaced?

On the front or face of the headstock there is wear around the pegs suggesting to me a "wider" base rested against the wood at some point. Also two of the four are different styles (not sure that any of the four are original).

IMG00004-20120229-1552.jpgIMG00003-20120229-1551.jpg

Here is my other Kamaka. I am guessing this is somewhere close to late 1980's to 1991 due to the tuners. I think 1991 was the last year for the KK decal which mine has.

Hi Stan, I had read that Kamakas had a date stamp (not specific to white label) so I was wondering where that would be located. Did they stamp gold and white label ukes?

I will get some pictures posted too. My pineapple might be tough because at least two of the tuning pegs are replacements and not sure if the other two are original.

Aloha Uke552,
Only kamaka ukes I've seen dates on was their tiki model, or custom ukuleles white and gold labels...vintages may have some pencil marks in the soundhole backs...all other production
off the shelf ukes have none to me...we date them with what parts they have on...hope it helps...MM Stan

Hey Stan, thanks for the great info, can you tell me anything about the age on this Kamaka beyond the general time period for that label? TIA, g2

Attachments

• Kamaka neck.jpg
    Kamaka neck.jpg
    38.5 KB · Views: 60
Hi Stan, any thoughts on when this is from? It's the second one listed in my signature. I'm guessing sometime in the 70s, since it has a white label?

Thanks! :)

photo1.jpg
photo 2.jpg
photo 3.jpg
photo 4.jpg

Thanks, Stan. Yeah, I'm not sure about the tuners - the person I bought the uke from didn't know for sure. They look new, but they also look like the ones i've seen on ukuleles from around that time.

I bought my uke when I was 10 yrs old (55 years ago) and it has a "gold" label, yet no stamping anywhere either. BTW, I paid $14 US for it. That was a lot of kala in those days.

Top Bottom