Lacey Act and Gibson guitars

Not all libertarians are "right wing". But more than a few are "wing nut".

Ron Paul is the only Republican presidential candidate willing to explain how he'll pay for his proposed tax cuts, though. Pretty cool. His explanation does, however, put Mr. Paul squarely in the "wing nut" category.

-1. Reason.TV is well known for producing right-wing "libertarian" propaganda. Their bias is pretty obvious in that video.

OK, the Ron Paul reference was said in jest. He doesn't stand any chance anyway. I really don't want to turn this into a political debate and I should have titled the thread differently. But someone is doing something about the LACEY Act. FOCUS!

I'm usually pretty liberal in my world view, but I agree with a lot of what Ron Paul says. Not everything—as a matter of act, I vehemently disagree with him on a few things—but I still think he'd likely be a much better president then we've had in a long time. You know, for the few weeks before he was assassinated by the Illuminati/New World Order/Big Business/CIA/Mafia. :)

As far as LACEY goes, here's a LACEY act I'm willing to get behind.

Edited photo removed.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fellas, let's tread carefully here. This is not a political forum, and political posts are notorious for starting wars. Let's stay on topic - in case the Lacey Act. Any editorializing for, or against, political candidates will go nowhere but downhill.

Also, sorry for removing the photos guys. She was a lovely lady, but we can't post those either.

Fellas, let's tread carefully here. This is not a political forum, and political posts are notorious for starting wars. Let's stay on topic - in case the Lacey Act. Any editorializing for, or against, political candidates will go nowhere but downhill.

Also, sorry for removing the photos guys. She was a lovely lady, but we can't post those either.

Mods, please feel free to re title this thread, I don't know how. It certainly isn't going where I had wished it to. My fault for titling it as I did. Mea culpa.

His theories may sound "wing nut," but the guy's a freaking Nostradamus: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zGDisyWkIBM

For those wo don't care to watch the video, it's Ron Paul making a list of predictions before Congress in 2002, nearly all of which came true.

He missed a couple: he thought we'd be out of Afghanistan by now, and that interest rates would soar.

He's no Nostradamus, he was just looking at the facts available and recent history.

I'm not saying Paul's crazy. I respect his candor and his commitment to finding solutions to national problems. He's one of the few national figures that understands we need radical change to address the difficulties he addressed in that list.

His nuttiness is in his proposed, impossible, solutions. There will never be a U.S. Congress willing to slash federal spending by one third. Ever. It's a nice dream, but it won't come true. If more politicians shared Paul's commitment to finding genuine solutions, and if more than two-thirds or so could be learn to compromise in pursuit of such solutions, we'd be on a better path much more quickly.

Oops, I forgot again about everything after the thread title. I don't understand the Lacey Act. I hope responsible lumber importers/exporters and the feds can work this out sooner rather than later, but that might involve a little commitment and compromise. Let's not hold our breath.

It's not just lumber. Paul Reed Smith has stopped using mother of pearl for most guitar inlays because of the difficulty in exporting anything with shell in it.

The manner in which the Lacey act...and CITES, for that manner...are being enforced are enough to take the most liberal of us luthiers and turn us into Libertarians at best or bomb throwing anarchists at worst.

Thanks for posting this, Chuck, but yeah, bad title. The fellow in the video is Rand Paul, not Ron.

To me, the Rand Paul proposal and Gibson's promotion of it will gut the Lacey Act entirely, and I imagine that is what they're really after. Frankly, it makes me sick.

No doubt the law is poorly and often unfairly applied. That is beyond debate. That is what needs addressing.

However, to take the foreign law requirement out of the Lacey Act simply opens the door to bribery of foreign customs officials to get illegally cut woods out of their own countries. Except for Lacey, we don't restrict any foreign woods in the US (they don't grow here, do they?), so it goes back to open season on all wood imports - the advantage going to those companies who are willing and able to pay off foreign customs officials to violate their own laws.

I suppose you could say that this is not the problem of the United States. I can tell you first hand, however, that we have a lot more respect around the world as a result of this stand. Poor countries, rich in natural resources, are easy prey for large foreign corporations. The fact is, that as a result of Lacey, we are seen as standing with these governments in their efforts to protect their own resources, instead of de facto encouraging our corporations to violate them. It puts us in the vanguard of a true "nation of laws" instead of the prime representative of "law as servant to the highest bidder".

I've been in the lumber export business in Central America, and seen this sort of thing first hand. I got out of it because of the prevalence of this practice of bribery and falsification of export documents. Based on what has happened with Gibson, I can almost guarantee that this is their standard way of doing business.

In my opinion, the CEO of Gibson has more interest in politics, and specifically in politics as the means to line his pockets, than he does in guitars. He is a serial offender when it comes to compliance with these laws. Don't think for one minute he doesn't know what he's doing. I personally hope the fellow ends up in jail.

Last edited:
In my opinion, the CEO of Gibson has more interest in politics, and specifically as politics as the means to line his pockets, than he does in guitars. He is a serial offender when it comes to compliance with these laws. Don't think for one minute he doesn't know what he's doing.

Amen to that. There's a reason Gibson is consistently ranked as one of the worst companies to work for, and his name is Henry J.

Reed Smith did himself no favours when he bragged about his stash of Brazilian rosewood - the guy got what he deserved. I'm gonna be testing Lacey next week when I ship a harp ukulele made in Vietnam to Nashville...

Sorry if my post was out of line. I tried to inject a bit of humor with the photo, but apparently it was too risqué. :(

No offense meant to anyone. Back to the topic!

Top Bottom