First Baritone

mrhandy

Reaction score
Hi all I have been busy working on a few ukes, this is one that is in progress. I just wiped the second coat of truoil on and thought it worth a pic... I wanted to see if anyone cn guess what kind of wood it is... I will give you a hint, it is local to me...

Attachments

• 003.jpg
    003.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 85
  • 004.jpg
    004.jpg
    93.2 KB · Views: 85
That is a sweet looking instrument and I have no idea what the wood is.

Tom

That's beautiful! I'm pretty sure that you used Tree Wood for it, right?

Allen, the comon name here is Ear Tree, I can't remember the Latin, but it is comonly refered to as monkeypod. The tree has sead pods that are black in color and about the size and shape pf an ear. The wood has a ton of shimmer and ribon type figure.

Thanks for all the kind words, it will be paired with a walnut neck, and rosewood fingerboard and bridge. I can't wait to hear how it sounds.

Thanks for the post, handy. Beautiful instrument - beautiful wood. The Latin name is Albizia Saman. The grain on your particular instrument is not as swirled, yet more defined, than what we typically see.

We build in Central America, where Monkeypod is plentiful. We do final fit and finish here in Louisiana. I didn't realize the wood grew so close to home.

Where did you come by your wood? How far north in Florida does it grow?

I can tell you one thing. To my particular taste, there is no finer hardwood soundboard than Cenizaro (the name for Monkeypod in the heart of it's native range).

Last edited:
Thanks for the post, handy. Beautiful instrument - beautiful wood. The Latin name is Albizia Saman. The grain on your particular instrument is not as swirled, yet more defined, than what we typically see.

We build in Central America, where Monkeypod is plentiful. We do final fit and finish here in Louisiana. I didn't realize the wood grew so close to home.

Where did you come by your wood? How far north in Florida does it grow?

I can tell you one thing. To my particular taste, there is no finer hardwood soundboard than Cenizaro (the name for Monkeypod in the heart of it's native range).

I helped cut the monkey pod I have. I contract with http://www.viablelumber.com
We have it growing plentifully here in Tampa, and have found it growing as far north as southern Ocala area, we did not think it would grow that far north as it doesn't like temps below freezing... maybe it is in a warm pocket.

Top Bottom