New Uke Day (Koaloha)

allanr

Reaction score
My Koaloha concert arrived from Switzerland today! It's a beauty, and sounds like a Koalohas should.

Just have to figure out what to do about the abomination stuck to the back of it...:mad:

Koaloha-front-home.jpgKoaloha-angle.jpgKoaloha-back.jpgKoaloha-back-home.jpg

you should just leave it,,, gives it character

Congratulations! It looks really nice (except for the sticker, which may be nice by itself but looks odd on the back of that ukulele). Please let us know how you end up removing the sticker.

I recommend sunlight. See if that warms up the glue enough. A blow drier can also help, just don't go overboard. I had a similar experience and a blow drier did the trick. I had to use some goo-gone to take off the remaining glue.

What kind of finish does the uke have? I would be concerned about goo-gone on a satin finish, but not on a thick gloss. And definitely test it on a spot that is inconspicuous.

Congratulations! It looks really nice (except for the sticker, which may be nice by itself but looks odd on the back of that ukulele). Please let us know how you end up removing the sticker.

No. I can't see any way that the sticker is nice by itself even.

Definitely try googone after all it is made of lemon oil which is used to polish some ukes.

And then wipe it really good assoon as you get the sticker off.

Just out googone on top of the sticker and let it soak a bit. You need to work slowly and with patience.

Definitely try googone after all it is made of lemon oil which is used to polish some ukes.

And then wipe it really good assoon as you get the sticker off.

Just out googone on top of the sticker and let it soak a bit. You need to work slowly and with patience.

If you have patience (like me) try a belt sander. It will not only remove the sticker, but will help the ukulele open up as well.
(I am joking)

The sticker serves a purpose: it prevents "belt rash". I say leave it on until it becomes intolerable. Then, put your own, even larger sticker over it.

Congratulations on a beautiful uke and an incredible deal!

If you have patience (like me) try a belt sander. It will not only remove the sticker, but will help the ukulele open up as well.
(I am joking)

I don't have a belt sander. Would a wood rasp do the trick?

Googone works great. You can also try Windex. The KoAloha gloss finish is pretty durable so these items should work fine. Just wipe it off when you're done.

Zippo or Ronson lighter fluid works well too. I use it to take price stickers off of all sorts of things, namely pipe stems. I've used it on wood, plastic, hard rubber, ceramic, etc. It smells funny, but evaporates quickly. Just don't burn it off!

Oh, she's a beauty! I love Koaloha fretboards. The sticker makes me laugh. At least it is on the back?

Hmmm, somebody had great taste in ukes - lousy taste in stickers... LOL

Hey, at least it's on the back! I'd be tempted to get a big black sharpie marker and write "not my idea" on the sticker and then leave it. But I've occasionally been accused of having an oddball sense of humor...

Oh...and in reference to those other threads we've seen that ask, "should I put stickers on my uke" -- well, here you have the answer in all it's...uh...splendor. :)

John

Congrats again in a fantastic score.

I'd use my fingernail and lots of patience before resorting to any chemical solvent. I would be leery of any petroleum distillate that might cloud or dissolve the finish.

Aloha,
Congrats on the uke and awesome deal. Goo gone worked for me on my Mahogany Mele Concert. Take your time, good luck.................................BO..........................

I have the same model. You may love this ukulele a long, long time. I use it in performance all the time.(lighter fluid will remove sticker residue as well as anything and will be safe for the finish.)

that's a wonderful uke!

but the sticker has to go or be covered up or something!!

The "abomination" is gone!

Goo Gone helped a little, but the sticker was thick and "plasticky" so it didn't penetrate. However, I was able to peel it off in just two pieces once I got a lip started. Afterwards I used pure acetone nail polish remover which removed the glue residue. Acetone also works well on crazy glue by the way, and hasn't damaged the finish of the two newer ukes I have had to use it on.
Koaloha-back.jpg

Well congratulations. Or only is it a great uke but I believe you got it at a great price right? Well good for you!

Enjoy!!!

Top Bottom