Trip to Central America

frankiefirefox

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I am heading out on a trip to Central America soon and my biggest concern is should I bring my uke or not? I'm concerned about damaging one of my ukes during my travels. My first stop is Antigua, Guatemala. I was considering buying one down there, but have serious reservations as I do not speak fluent Spanish. Do ya'll think I should risk not bringing my uke in favor of finding one when I'm down there?

Thanks in advance for the advice!

I brought mine to Guatemala, and had no problems whatsoever. I did have a hard case, which certainly didn't hurt. I should say that I think it would be pretty difficult to find an ukulele in Guatemala, unless you bought one off of somebody in a hostel. Of course, if you are backpacking, I would just get a beater to travel with. A tip, if you are wearing leather shoes in the Centro, expect to be hassled frequently by the shoe shine boys. My advice: bring the Hilo. Also, first thing in Antigua, hike the Cerro de la Cruz. It gives a stunning view of the city and the surrounding volcanoes.

I travel to Central America about twice per month, and I always bring a concert sized ukulele in a just a gig bag. I have only seen one ukulele in a store in Panama City... so I would not count on finding something down there.

The crazy humidity swings that you will experience sort of dictate a laminate uke.

Top Bottom