Steel String Cigar Box Uke?

Paul December

Reaction score
:) Do you think it's possible to kill 2 birds with 1 stone?
1 - I'd like to get a Cigar Box Uke
2 - I'd like to get a Steel String Electric Uke

I know some Cigar Box Guitar builders make 4 string electrics...
...so would it be just a matter of getting one made with a shorter scale length? Ideally I'd like a Tenor, but would settle for a Baritone Uke.
:confused: Any thought on this?

Have you been to the cigar box ukulele group on Cigarboxnation.com?

Yes, please do :)

I got it in. I like it well enough (I am actually not picky myself for my ukes, I am more picky for my customers) but it needs some tweeks. The battery hangs loose in there on the pickup which caues some buzzing and it needs some buzzes worked out. Sounds quiet acoustically, but it is pretty darn sweet plugged in. The neck is thick and I need to get used to it. I think I will grow in-love with it in time... the design on the box is orange based, so it looks good hanging up too. So I like it, but dont know if I would say, "YES! Get a uke from this guy!" Especially since I know you and know what you like :)

I got it in. I like it well enough (I am actually not picky myself for my ukes, I am more picky for my customers) but it needs some tweeks. The battery hangs loose in there on the pickup which caues some buzzing and it needs some buzzes worked out. Sounds quiet acoustically, but it is pretty darn sweet plugged in. The neck is thick and I need to get used to it. I think I will grow in-love with it in time... the design on the box is orange based, so it looks good hanging up too. So I like it, but dont know if I would say, "YES! Get a uke from this guy!" Especially since I know you and know what you like :)
You are correct.... I'd better pass on one :)
Thanks!

For me it was a trade, so it really did not feel like it cost anything. Know what I mean? So I am gonna tweek it and get it the way I like it. Let me know if you find a builder you like. I would love to know so I can tell others about them.

Have you looked into papa's boxes?

For me it was a trade, so it really did not feel like it cost anything. Know what I mean? So I am gonna tweek it and get it the way I like it. Let me know if you find a builder you like. I would love to know so I can tell others about them.

Have you looked into papa's boxes?

It doesn't look like Papa's is taking orders any more. I did search Etsy and contacted several CB guitar builders and most said they would build a uke.
From what is looks like, it would cost just under $300 to get a nice one with clean modern-ish construction, humbucker pickups, and adjustable electric guitar style bridge.

Here is a link to Elderly where they have several different baritone CBUs equipped with a transducer p/u. You could put steel strings on one with no problem as they are neck through body design. They could easily take the extra tension of steel strings. I have one that is nylon strung as purchased. It is a very nice instrument. They do not, however, have volume or tone controls.

http://elderly.com/new_instruments/items/CBU4-064.htm

Here is a link to Elderly where they have several different baritone CBUs equipped with a transducer p/u. You could put steel strings on one with no problem as they are neck through body design. They could easily take the extra tension of steel strings. I have one that is nylon strung as purchased. It is a very nice instrument. They do not, however, have volume or tone controls.

http://elderly.com/new_instruments/items/CBU4-064.htm
wow , those look pretty cool, and inexpensive. how do they sound unplugged? are they awkward to hold/play.machine screw for nut? what's with that? maple neck? hmm, my BD is coming up.

wow , those look pretty cool, and inexpensive. how do they sound unplugged? are they awkward to hold/play.machine screw for nut? what's with that? maple neck? hmm, my BD is coming up.

They have NO sound unplugged, you have to amplify them. They sound and play very good when amplified though. The machine screw is a cheap yet very effective way of making a nut, it works well. Given that it is a CBU, the machine screw fits in the scheme of things nicely, in my opinion.

:) Do you think it's possible to kill 2 birds with 1 stone?
1 - I'd like to get a Cigar Box Uke
2 - I'd like to get a Steel String Electric Uke

I know some Cigar Box Guitar builders make 4 string electrics...
...so would it be just a matter of getting one made with a shorter scale length? Ideally I'd like a Tenor, but would settle for a Baritone Uke.
:confused: Any thought on this?
There's a steel string cigar box uke builder on eBay. Have corresponded with him about his works. He had concert and soprano, but I wanted a baritone or tenor at the time and he didn't have any. Name was morr7801.

Top Bottom