What the heck is this chord????

Chris Tarman

Reaction score
I got ichadwick's great DVD of vintage ukulele sheet music, and have been playing the Cliff Edwards version of "Singin' In The Rain". The music shows the chords, but doesn't name them. I recognize everything but this one: 3003. The key is F (well, actually on the music, it has the uke tuned to the old D tuning, but I'm playing it with "normal" tuning), and the other chords are:

F/C (2013) Dm F F/C F F/C
Singin' in the rain, just singin' in the rain what a glorious feeling

Cdim ?(3003) C7
I'm happy again...

Any thoughts? I can play it, no problem... I just can't find the name of the chord anywhere. I've checked the chord book I have (Roy Sakuma), and a couple of chord charts I have stashed here and there...

I guess the notes would be: bflat c e c. I don't know enough about chord-building to be able to name that.

Now that I've posted this, I see that the chords have gotten all scrunched up to the left margin instead of being over the words I typed them over... but you get the idea, I hope. Pretty much everyone has the song in their brain and knows where the chord changes go, I should think!
Thanks!

Last edited:
The first chord is an F with a C added on the first string.
F major is FAC notes. When you play 2010 you have two A notes (1st & 4th strings)
2013 is next years F chord, you now have two C notes (2nd & 4th strings)

Last edited:
I must be missing something here because I don't understand why you can't just call that a regular ole' C7 (3003)?

The first chord is an F with a C added on the first string.
F major is FAC notes. When you play 2010 you have two A notes (1st & 4th strings)
2013 is next years F chord, you now have two C notes (2nd & 4th strings)

I know what those chords are. It's the 3003 that I don't know the name of.

Isn't C7 0001 (and also 3433)?

Those are both also C7; 3003 is an inversion. The notes in the chord can be played anywhere they can be found on the neck - there are almost always several inversions for any given chord.

Those are both also C7; 3003 is an inversion. The notes in the chord can be played anywhere they can be found on the neck - there are almost always several inversions for any given chord.

the notes in a C7 are CEG and a flat 7th Bb.
3003 is Bb,C,E,C no fifth (G).

The chord would sound fuller with the 5th, but it still a C7.
I always sound better with a 5th too.

Ok, I hear it now. It sounds pretty different from the 0001 voicing, but very close to the 3433 voicing. I've just never seen that inversion written out anywhere. Thank you!

Ok, I hear it now. It sounds pretty different from the 0001 voicing, but very close to the 3433 voicing. I've just never seen that inversion written out anywhere. Thank you!

It is kind of fun when you know how chords are built.
There are two methods to finding a chord:
1. The microwave method, look it up in a chord chart.
2. The "Betty Crocker" method, cook it from scratch.

The latter method is fun, but can make for some finger twisters.

the notes in a C7 are CEG and a flat 7th Bb.
3003 is Bb,C,E,C no fifth (G).

The chord would sound fuller with the 5th, but it still a C7.
I always sound better with a 5th too.
HaHa! SailingUke. After a 5th I usually just play 2 note chords. :)

That would be an alternate fingering for a C7.

Edit: Heh, guess I'm johnny come lately on this one - I should have noticed there were already two pages of answers. LOL

John

Any fifth is just an interval to a bad progression for me.

It leaves out the 5th step but that is ok.

Yeah, that's the key difference. A "true" C7 consists of the notes C, E, G, and Bb. The 3003 chord has C, E, Bb, and another C. The G is omitted.

Bill's right that is not that big of a deal. If you have to get rid of one of the four notes, the fifth (G, in this case) is usually the first one to go. It adds the least to the "flavor" of the chord.

JJ

I know C7 but this thread makes my head hurt more than the morning after a fifth.

Now where the heck is my copy of Fretboard Roadmaps...

Top Bottom