Islander MSC-4: a beginner's perspective

TimboAZ

Reaction score
I’ve only been playing ukulele for six months, started out with a Makala soprano, then “upgraded” to an Oscar Schmidt OU7T that I never liked because it has no volume at all.

So after reading these boards for a while, I decided to get an Islander. Fortunately, I was able to try out the MSC-4 at Acoustic Vibes in Tempe AZ and liked it enough to buy it for $215. It’s fair to say that I get buyers remorse more often than not, but this has turned out to be one of my happiest purchases. I like the way the MSC-4 looks, simple and classy, and I love the way it sounds even more. It’s warm and rich with plenty of volume (it’s made the OU7T unplayable for me). Strumming it with the meaty part of my thumb makes it sound almost as though it’s amplified, but very clean and warm. It inspires me to practice every night, and I have to admit my feelings for it are almost unnatural. It’s a joy to hold and play.

I went back to Acoustic Vibes last week with every intention of buying a new Martin Koa C1K or T1K if I liked it. After playing the Martins and some Islanders in the shop, I just liked tone of the Islanders more (I hate to say it but the Martins sounded a bit cold and thin to me -- it may have been the strings, which I did not like at all). I played about 10 ukes while I was there, and my clear favorite was a Kanile’a K-1 concert. But is it $500 better than the Islander? Not at my current salary. (Though I’ve begun to have thoughts about it with that sexy glossy finish.)

I know this is all subjective, especially for a uke noob like me, so take this review for what it’s worth. But I did want to thank all of those who recommended Islanders. They really are awesome instruments at a great price.

Thanks for posting this review. I've had my MSC-4 for more than a month now and agree with your review. I'm more than a beginner and this uke sounds and plays great to me. You made a great choice. I just re-strung with Southcoast medium re-entrants which are a great improvement over the Aquilas. Changing strings on the pin bridge was a breeze. Have fun!

I know this is all subjective, especially for a uke noob like me, so take this review for what it’s worth. But I did want to thank all of those who recommended Islanders. They really are awesome instruments at a great price.

You know, when you boil it all down, all reviews are subjective - even those by so-called experts, musicians who have been playing all their lives, and pointy-headed snobs who believe their opinion should be law.

Not that there isn't truth to the insights that those with experience have, and more often than not the opinions and reviews of professionals or people who have played for a long time have a great deal of value. But in the end, it really depends on you. And if everyone says that 'ukulele A is better than 'ukulele B, but you prefer B, then B is the best one for you.

Glad to hear you like your Islander. I've played one in a store as well and found it to be very surprisingly good.

Oh, and one more piece of purely subjective advice: save your money bit by bit and get that Kanile'a when you can afford it. You won't be sorry.

Thanks for the comments, mr roper and PoiDog. Regarding the Kanile'a, I get my bonus this month and my wife is okay with me getting it, but I haven't made up my mind yet. I'd really like to make the Islander low-g and work on my fingerpicking. I'd also like an Islander soprano. :)

I like the way the MSC-4 looks, simple and classy, and I love the way it sounds even more...It inspires me to practice every night...It’s a joy to hold and play.
I don't think you can overstate the importance of investing in a higher quality ukulele. Is it really worth triple the price of a Kala laminate? Absolutely! (no disrespect to Kala or laminate ukes)

...my clear favorite was a Kanile’a K-1 concert. But is it $500 better than the Islander? Not at my current salary.
I agree you should always work within your family budget. You should also figure out whether you want to stay with the Concert scale and high-G tuning. But once those details are resolved, I think you will find a Kanile'a worth every penny. A high-quality musical instrument is something you can reasonably expect to keep for a lifetime and pass on to the next generation.

Re: low-g fingerpicking, this is the argument I used with my wife when discussing the Kanile'a. She bought it, so that's my story and I'm sticking to it. (Though mainly she's just happy to see me enjoying a great new hobby and wants to support that.)

I'm helping my wife with her business on Saturday, and she's agreed that we can vist Acoustic Vibes afterward as my reward. I'm pretty sure I'll be walking out with that concert Kanile'a K-1.

Top Bottom