Speed vs Accuracy?

nwahid

Reaction score
I've been learning my first song (Island in the Sun from Aldrine's tute) and I've got the notes and strumming pattern down for all parts. Now I'm trying to play it somewhat steadily. I'm just not sure what the best way to go about practicing is (if there is even a best way). I try to speed up and play at normal speed, but then my notes are all off. Should I continue to try to practice this way or should I just keep practicing at my own speed until my notes are consistently accurate?

I'm guessing that playing consistently is better than speed, but I am impatient!

I'm new to the uke, but not new to music. Just an observation: I've noticed that something that is near impossible when I first try it is much easier the next day. If I take a day off from that piece of music it actually improves much more the day after that. But I don't wait longer than that.

Maybe a neurologist could tell you why this is...something about brain neurons developing. Anywho, you and bob have the right of it. Practice slower than you need to at first and then pick up speed. Frustrating if you want to learn it quicker but you'll be happier down the road to be able to play it flawlessly =)

You might want to consider trying a metronome. You could adjust the beat to a slower pace that you're able to maintain and play accurately. Once you have that down, you can step up the beat a bit until you're able to maintain and play accurately at that pace. You can continue stepping up the pace slowly in this manner until you're at the pace and accuracy you're looking for.

Last edited:
You might want to consider trying a metronome. You could adjust the beat to a slower pace that you're able to maintain and play accurately. Once you have that down, you can step up the beat a bit until you're able to maintain and play accurately at that pace. You can continue stepping up the pace slowly in this manner until you're at the pace and accuracy you're looking for.

I absolutely second this. I use a metronome all the time and it really helps. Also, you can see your progress as you are able to increase the speed on your metronome and still play accurately.

There are plenty of free iphone and android metronome apps. I use Mobile Metronome for android.

If you play fast enough, no one will notice a mistake.

Just ask the Ramones. I hear they did okay with their careers.

In an interview Jake said "If you are making mistakes then you are playing too fast". Get the song perfect at however slow you need to play it and once it is perfect slowly start to speed it up

I rented a video from netflix a few years ago that said it was guaranteed to improve speed and accuracy, guess what the secret was... metronome and it works. He said to play at your own top speed where you are just about to fumble and take note of the tempo. Then, he slowed his metronome down so much it was actually hard to play along, played a couple times thru to get it perfect, sped up the tempo a little bit at a time until he got back to the 'personal top speed' and kept on going until he reached a new top speed. I think he was doing Black Mtn Rag or something, it was quite impressive, but I tried it with some easier songs I was learning and it really worked, however it was a bit time consuming, almost monotonous. After a day of rest I was able to play those songs really fast without even thinking about it.

As everyone has stated speed will happen along.
It is however important to remember there is much music between the notes.
Speed can be highly over rated.

Bought a metronome yesterday and practiced with it for the first time today. Amazing how much more difficult it was to play pieces I started weeks ago and thought I had pretty well down. No longer can I slow it down even the slightest bit for the tougher passages. Really made me work but I know its making me better!

Jim B

Top Bottom