Maui Music history?

mollys

Reaction score
Does anyone have any information on Maui Music's history? I see instruments listed as "pre-fire" and realize there was a fire, but when was it? Other than being older, how are pre-fire instruments different than post fire ones?

I am not sure when the fire was. I think it was late 90s. That said the pre fire instruments seem to have some sort of mojo that people are drawn to. A rarity or something. The operation was rebuilt or moved and building continued. If you asked the builder there is no real difference between pre and post fire. Same builder maybe some different tools, but it seems in the ukulele community pre fire is something to be desired. I would take either myself.

Edit, my info is subject to fact checking and correction but this is what I have gathered.

Last edited:
i just got a 1998 tenor did you get any info on the ukes or the builders what model do you have and is it new or old?? what kind of strings do you use?? and are you happy with it?? any good or bad things about it thanks

Aloha,
I'm looking for info myself after just purchasing a Concert model (round sound hole). Want to know if the serial number can be used to ID this uke as to when it was built. Haven't been able to find info on the Inter-net. Someone gotta know something. All I know that it's built by Peter Lieberman somewhere on Maui............................BO.....................

Last edited:
thanks for your help my uke also has a round sound hole and label says xmas 98 do you like it so far??

Top Bottom