OK to change tuning often on same ukulele?

hibiscus

Reaction score
I just received a music book on how to play slack key ukulele (Mark Nelson). Is it OK to change my A string back and forth from an A to G? I'll be using my wonderful new Ohana CK-38.:eek:
Thank you.

The Uke Buke. . .Learn to Play Slack Key Style Ukulele~ recommend!

Absolutely. And when the strings are new and still stretching, it will do it all by itself. ;)

Thanks, Teek! (and yes, they certainly do!)

lol at wearing the strings out quickly. I have 4 ukes and play one a day for 15 minutes. I have arthritis in my shoulders, so I spend most of my time reading & listening to the uke. I'm really happy I can do that and have so much FUN!

If your instrument has geared tuners, it makes changing tensions so much less of a chore than friction tuners. Consider dropping the 4th string a whole tone and raise the 2nd string 1/2 tone up . Dropping the first string a half step puts you in open G on GCEA or open D od DGBE whilst dropping 4 and raising 2 puts you in F (GCEA) or C (DGBE). Both are common slack tunings and have their strengths and shortcomings.

Contrary to the opinion of some, knowing chord shapes in one tuning and chord shapes is no different from speaking two or three languages. Some do, and others have convinced themselves into thinking they cannot.

Top Bottom