Missing bridge

JClifton

Reaction score
I have a novice question. Last year I purchased a second uke that was in great shape but the bridge had come off/unglued. The project sat around for a bit and now it seems I have hid the bridg from myself. Is it feasible just to buy a replacement bridge and have that glued on? I am pretty familiar with woodworking, though I haven't tackled an instrument yet.

A new bridge can be purchased from any number of vendors or you might try your hand and craft your own. Mainland ukulele sells a bridge and saddle for about 6-8 dollars.

Good deal. I didnt know if it would be a problem to put a different saddle on it than the one that came with it.

I have a novice question. Last year I purchased a second uke that was in great shape but the bridge had come off/unglued. The project sat around for a bit and now it seems I have hid the bridg from myself. Is it feasible just to buy a replacement bridge and have that glued on? I am pretty familiar with woodworking, though I haven't tackled an instrument yet.

No, it is not feasible just to buy a new bridge and expect that it is going fit your uke. You have to consider string spacing, and bridge height for starters. Take it to someone who knows about ukes, this is not typical woodworking stuff.

With all due respect to the professionals; of course it's not one size fits all, but it's not rocket science either. The info is readily available on the web and with some basic skills it can be done. Gather the information. Use your imagination. Be courageous. Last time I looked, that's a great path to learning.

There is a music store close by that has a luthier in twice a week, I will call him next Monday and see what he can do, still tempted just to do it myself, not an expensive instrument, nor that important to me, all I could do is mess it up right?

Top Bottom