Taking stock of the (Baritone) collection...

ukulelecowboy

Reaction score
The other day, a friend asked me which size ukulele I preferred. Of course I answered the Baritone. He then asked me how many Baritones did we own? And it occurred to me that I didn't actually know. So, this past weekend, I "took stock" of the Baritone Collection of The Ukulele Cowboy Society. Turns out that there are 29. Each one does get played (occasionally) All performance instruments are loaded with Southcoast Linears. I also noted the type of pickup where relevant. In addition, all are tuned GCEA with the exception of the C.F. Mountain which is tuned DGBA.

I should add that there are a couple of "Holy Grail" instruments that have not made it to my door as yet. Someday...

First the Holy Grails:

Gibson BU-1 Baritone
Gretsch Baritone Ukulele
Favilla B2s (Spruce top, Mahogany body)
Martin Style 51 Baritone

The Current List: (p) designates performance instrument

'12 Ko'olau CE-1 Baritone (en-route) (p) (L.R.Baggs)
'11 Pono Acacia Deluxe Baritone (p) (MiSi)
'09 Pono Mahogany Deluxe Baritone (p) (MiSi)
'08 Pono Macassar Ebony and Cedar top (p) (Fishman Infinity)
'64 Guild BU-1 Baritone
'64 Favilla B2 Baritone
'72 Yasuma Model 51 Baritone
'75 C.F. Mountain Model 51 Baritone
'53 Vega Arthur Godfrey Solo Lute (K and K Twinspot)
'52 Vega Arthur Godfrey Baritone (deluxe)
'55 Harmony Model 695 Baritone
'65 Harmony Model 695 Baritone
'65 Airline Baritone
'59 Biltmore Short Scale Baritone
'71 Bobby Henshaw Baritone
'55 Kent Carmencita Baritone
'55 Kustom Kraft Baritone
'68 Lyra Baritone
'70 Giannini Baritone
'66 Aria Model 1255 Baritone
'10 Eleuke Mahogany Baritone
'72 Regal Spruce top Baritone
'68 Silvertone Baritone
'09 Kala KA-B Mahogany Baritone
'11 Cordoba Cuatro (as Baritone)
'09 Jupiter Creek Telecaster Steel String Baritone
'09 Oscar Schmidt OU55CE Koa Baritone
'70 Maccaferri Islander Plastic Baritone

Mike,
Man o man! What a collection. Very cool! Where do you store them all and do you rotate them around for playing time? Also, if you were on a desert island and could have just one, which would it be?

a pic of the regal 72' model spruce top if you would, kind sir?:cool:

That's a very impressive collection! I have a Pono solid mahogany baritone and I love it. I can see from my Pono why your performance baritones are all under the Ko'olau umbrella.

Not to hijack the thread, but since you have so much experience with baritones, I thought I'd ask whether you've ever played a 6-string or 8-string baritone and, if you have (or if you've heard one being played) what you think of them. I appreciate the differences in sound between my 8-string and 4-string tenors, and I just noticed that Kanile'a offers 6 strings and 8 strings as an option on its baritones. That got me to wondering what an instrument like that would sound like.

saw it a FEW days ago..hee hee :)

Stan,

I saw that Gibson and was tempted by the $500 BIN but it was in really rough shape. A full (albeit repaired) crack in the lower bout and one on the back. Also the finish crazing was out of control. I'll save my money, keep looking, and invest in something more dependable and worthwhile.

Mike,
Man o man! What a collection. Very cool! Where do you store them all and do you rotate them around for playing time? Also, if you were on a desert island and could have just one, which would it be?

All are hanging in out ukulele/rehearsal room which is humidified. The desert lsland choice is easy: the '64 Guild...

Yea, I'd be anxious to see the collection. Quite awesome. did not know Guild ever made a uke.

Some shots of the Guild...

SDC11889.jpg

SDC11890.jpg

SDC11895.jpg

SDC11901.jpg

Stan,

I saw that Gibson and was tempted by the $500 BIN but it was in really rough shape. A full (albeit repaired) crack in the lower bout and one on the back. Also the finish crazing was out of control. I'll save my money, keep looking, and invest in something more dependable and worthwhile.

Psst..Andy Has a mint gibson batitone I want.....he pulled out several times selling it...don't blame him....ha ha

Stan,

Know which one you mean...I never seem to have the funds when he's thinking about letting it go! LOL

A drool worthy collection for sure!

May I ask if the Yasuma was the one on eBay a couple of months back? I was hoping that went to a good home since I was outbid. ;)

How do you like your Gianinni? I have one but the fretboard is a little narrow for bending and the action a wee high. Sounds lovely though.

Reviving this because of my current Baritone crush and to tempt Mike to post more pics of his collection!

dang brotha u gotta lots of bari wow

Top Bottom